Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Front Brakes and Rotors 02 Boxster

I got a quote of $828.10 to due my front brakes and rotors from Sam and Joes Foreign Repair in Arlington, TX near Dallas. I've only had my Boxster for a few months so I'm stil learning but does this sound like a fair quote. Is there any discount type brake places that work on boxsters?

In addition, I wanted to have them change spark plugs... Anyone know what that might cost?

Thanks,

Charlie

Travelmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #2

Garage
It's really a simple DIY project to do the breaks/rotors and could save you quite a bit.

Look at Pedro's site for instructions.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmind
I got a quote of $828.10 to due my front brakes and rotors from Sam and Joes Foreign Repair in Arlington, TX near Dallas. I've only had my Boxster for a few months so I'm stil learning but does this sound like a fair quote. Is there any discount type brake places that work on boxsters?

In addition, I wanted to have them change spark plugs... Anyone know what that might cost?

Thanks,

Charlie

Spark plugs took about 45 minutes for me to do... brakes are extremely easy on any car. I just did my Audi A4 a couple weeks back in about 1 hour.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/DIY_Projects.html
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #4

yeah. That price is a little high for brake pad replacements. The pads alone don't even cost $100.
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

There's a whole range of prices and levels of quality for brake rotors, from Chinese junk to $150/rotor corrosion coated Zimmermans for a Boxster S (less for a non S). Do you have any idea what you're getting? You don't have to spend big $ to get really good quality, but if the shop's supplying them they'll be marked up at least 100%, maybe 200%, and a high price doesn't guarantee quality parts - or work.

Even if you have minimal mechanical skills, there are so many basic things you can easily do to keep repair and maintenance expenses in check, and it'll give you a great sense of satisfaction. I'm amazed at how many I've been able to do and it's saved me a ton of money. That said, there are still certain jobs I leave to the pros.

If you run to a mechanic for everything, your ownership is going to get painfully expensive in a hurry. If you're willing to learn, there's a wealth of info here to read and many knowledgeable people willing to help you out. It's your choice...
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks,

Charlie
That price quote is way too high.
You should be looking more at about $400 to $500, including new rotors.

If you lived in Denver, I would offer to do them for $150 plus parts, and would throw in the spark plugs for free.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the information as i decided to to a little investigating mechanics in the area andI think I found the one for me called Zims Autotechnik

He gave me a quote of around $400 if it needed new rotors and in the $200s if it didnt. He also quoted me$205 for the new spark plus.

I think the place I was at was really a high service level almost like a dealership. Thanks for the info its great to have a place to ask these questions.

In addition trust me...I'm handy man and cannot work on cars myself... Not my forte.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the information as i decided to to a little investigating mechanics in the area andI think I found the one for me called Zims Autotechnik

He gave me a quote of around $400 if it needed new rotors and in the $200s if it didnt. He also quoted me$205 for the new spark plus.

I think the place I was at was really a high service level almost like a dealership. Thanks for the info its great to have a place to ask these questions.

In addition trust me...I'm handy man and cannot work on cars myself... Not my forte.
I did my 2000S for about $275...all 4 new Balo rotors and Mintex pads from Pelican Parts. Spark plugs are about $35. If you have mechanical know how, you can do it. If not, the guy sounds very reasonable. Be sure he is not buying cheap Chinese rotors. The Balo's and Zimmermans are German made. Mintex is a very good street pad. Padget and some other high price pads are more for guys who like to race.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
I did my 2000S for about $275...all 4 new Balo rotors and Mintex pads from Pelican Parts. Spark plugs are about $35. If you have mechanical know how, you can do it. If not, the guy sounds very reasonable. Be sure he is not buying cheap Chinese rotors. The Balo's and Zimmermans are German made. Mintex is a very good street pad. Padget and some other high price pads are more for guys who like to race.
no kidding? i thought it would be about double that.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

I went with a Mintex pad over a Textar pad to save some money based on the shop owners recommedation. I am really liking this guy and it feels like he is very honest.

I'll report back in a few months how the new pads and brakes feel...
Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986

are you getting any rust on the Balo's? I once made the mistake of not getting the coated rotors. waste of $.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #12

Stock parts will cost you about $400 for that job (I bought these parts around a year ago). Labor is not worth another $400+ unless they are doing a brake fluid change and other stuff.