Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Replacing cloth top

So I found this while looking for a hardtop:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-97-99-98-00-01-02-Convertible-Top_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a544fd0c0QQitemZ25 0522620096QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

I'm aware of the GAHH top as well which seems to be popular, but about twice the price. What I'm wondering is, is this a DIY swap, how long it might take, and are any special tools required?

Also, if anyone has any experience with the NON-gaah glass window tops, please chime in as well.

I'm debating between the glass/cloth combo or a hardtop.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
JTP

Interesting how they don't show a photo of the soft top ON the car.

Even GAHH initially had issues with the glass pulling off the cloth, but they stood behind their product. Even if the ebay seller says 5 year warranty, I would spend the extra cash and buy from a more credible seller like GAHH.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

same price point, pics on car and looks factory. 5 year warranty. factory cloth and specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-97-1997-2002-02-Convertible-Top-W-Glass_W0QQitemZ330415127494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4cee46bbc6

the GAAH is the price of a used hardtop.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #4

I recently installed another GAHH top with the plastic window for a Porsche dealer. It fit great as usual. Looking at the top on ebay you chose, the tension cables look cheap. I have tried pretty much all the tops out there. I always use GAHH. I wish GAHH were cheaper too. I have install many tops including the boxster. I would never buy one on Ebay especially with a Glass window. Usually, the tops I have seen sold on Ebay are factory seconds. Thats my honest opinion.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #5

I am seriously considering a new GAHH cloth top for my 99 Boxster. I was going to just replace the back window, but I figure I will save up and replace the entire top since it will cost less than 1k for the new top.

I'm looking for a referral for someone in the Atlanta area that can install one of these for me. I am new to convertibles and not very mechanically inclined, so I want to have a pro install one for me.

Thanks.

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

Haha I like how they say, "no sewing needed, just installation".

Phew! for a minute there I thought it was going to be hard.....

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote