986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Speedster Humps (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24110)

djmads41 03-21-2010 06:10 PM

Speedster Humps

Am thinking abouy putting speedster humps on my 2002 S. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Have been looking at those offered by Direct Car Toys.

RandallNeighbour 03-21-2010 06:46 PM

Lots of experience here. I own an aftermarket set.

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/images/box9.JPG

The aftermarket sets are a little bit of a pain to put on with the straps that must go under the center roll bar if you have a factory shelf for speakers.

They look really, really cool though!

Now what I do not like about them is the fact that they can mar the rubberized trim around the clamshell (my set anyway).

I also have been caught in the rain and had to scramble to get them off the car and into the rear trunk so they fit (which they do, but only after trying them a few different ways). Then getting the top up while it poured wasn't any fun.

Lessons learned: buy original ones if you can find them. They're worth the extra money, easier to put on and take off, and probably much better made.

MN 986 03-22-2010 06:41 AM

I don't have any experience with the speedster humps, but I did buy the painted rear diffusers from Direct Car Toys, and the quality and paint match was good.

Let us know how they look and how they fit/function if you get them.

Lil bastard 03-22-2010 06:55 AM

Clearly Speedster Humps are an acquired taste... one I have yet to acquire.

I think they're costly, unattractive (as in Boxster meets Asian Tuner sort of way) and prevent you from operating the top.

Probably the least ordered option next to the factory tonneau cover.

Cheers!

Boxtaboy 03-22-2010 07:53 AM

Yeah, not being able to operate the top while those things are on is a big fail, IMO. What if you are running errands all day, and need to put your top up and down at various locations? Store the humps, and then put your top up each time? :D

Those things also remind me of the Batmobile. To each his own, however. :)

RandallNeighbour 03-22-2010 08:02 AM

So true. They are terribly inconvenient. This is why most of the ones purchased sit in the garage of the owner and wind up in the hands of someone else at some point in time.

However, I get tons of compliments each and every time I put them on the car. Because my car is debadged, they always come up and say, "What kind of car is that? I really like it."

I only use them when I am out for a long drive on a nice coolish warm dry day when there's zero chance of rain. Or, when I want to drive around a little near my home and I can put the car right back in the garage with the humps still on the car.

The problem with storing the car with the humps on it is that jumping in to do an errand is not as fast... and leaving the top down long-term just stretches out the top's side cables (which is a bad problem I already have so I don't care at this point).

Johnny Danger 03-22-2010 08:36 AM

My vehicle came equipped from the factory with the speedster hump option. I hated everything about them. Indeed, the way they looked, the fact that it was really a two person job to safely put them on and take them off, I couldn't operate the top while they were on ect.. I sold mine soon after getting the vehicle. Interestingly, despite the fact that the humps were speed yellow and in pristine condition, the person who purchased them had a black boxster . :confused:

Mark_T 03-22-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Those things also remind me of the Batmobile.

I thought there was something missing...

http://www.members.shaw.ca/oshikuru/batmoboxster.jpg

aparmex 03-22-2010 07:56 PM

For the ones that hate them... a thought came to my mind, they look so terrible that porsche decided to launch several cars with speedester humps, the boxster spyder, the carrera gt, and the new 918 spyder... As far as it concerns to me they look great, I have a set and I can take them out in about 30 seconds, extremely easy to do!!! By the way I also own a beck 550 spyder with speedster humps, so I definitely love them!!!

Johnny Danger 03-23-2010 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aparmex
For the ones that hate them... a thought cama to my mind, they look so terrible that porsche decided to launch several cars with speedester humps, the boxster spyder, the carrera gt, and the new 918 spyder... As far as it concerns to they look great, i have a set and i can take them out in about 30 seconds, extremely easy to do!!! By the way i also own a beck 550 spyder with speedester humps, so I definitely love them!!!

You should check out this web-site.
www.HookedonPhonics.com

jmatta 03-23-2010 06:03 AM

I don't recall ever seeing that item...I'm now rather intrigued by the notion. You'd think I'd at least have seen them listed on eBay?

To each their own, but the speedster humps don't do anything for me, either; they add bulk in the wrong place and make the car look rather top heavy

landrovered 03-23-2010 06:35 AM

I think I would like them if they replaced the clamshell entirely with a new piece but the aftermarket version is just one too many layers and it makes it look like fish scales on the rear of the car.

aparmex 03-23-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
You should check out this web-site.
www.HookedonPhonics.com

Well Johnny I did not think that you took that personally I was just giving my point of view like everybody else, also I was trying to tell "djmads41" that this humps look really cool, however I have to admit that I do not think the same way about your car, sorry, buy I hate yellow color cars and dislike that bumper that your car have it makes it look like a fast and furious thing....

On the other hand I found your link very offensive , I do not have to apologize that I do not speak perfect english, because I do not live in the US, but however I can speak perfect spanish and russian (have to because my wife is from Ukraine), unlike most US people that only speak english and think that everybody else in the world has to speak it perfectly.... :confused:

I hope that we do not come across in any other thread...

Lil bastard 03-23-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta

I don't recall ever seeing that item...I'm now rather intrigued by the notion. You'd think I'd at least have seen them listed on eBay?

To each their own, but the speedster humps don't do anything for me, either; they add bulk in the wrong place and make the car look rather top heavy

It's called the Speedster Rear and it's option code XAB

Cheers!

Lobo1186 03-23-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

For the ones that hate them... a thought came to my mind, they look so terrible that porsche decided to launch several cars with speedester humps, the boxster spyder, the carrera gt, and the new 918 spyder... As far as it concerns to me they look great, I have a set and I can take them out in about 30 seconds, extremely easy to do!!! By the way I also own a beck 550 spyder with speedster humps, so I definitely love them!!!

i agree with you. however, my least favorite of them all is on the boxster (as a takeoff piece) . i do still like them but it doesnt look quite as beautiful as on the carrerra GT and the boxster spyder.

if you could get some kind of built in type (like the spyder) it would be plain gorgeous on the boxster.

Johnny Danger 03-23-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Well Johnny I did not think that you took that personally I was just giving my point of view like everybody else, also I was trying to tell "djmads41" that this humps look really cool, however I have to admit that I do not think the same way about your car, sorry, buy I hate yellow color cars and dislike that bumper that your car have it makes it look like a fast and furious thing....

On the other hand I found your link very offensive , I do not have to apologize that I do not speak perfect english, because I do not live in the US, but however I can speak perfect spanish and russian (have to because my wife is from Ukraine), unlike most US people that only speak english and think that everybody else in the world has to speak it perfectly.... :confused:

I hope that we do not come across in any other thread...

Aparamex,

Have some peyote and relax man! I was just giving you a little cactus poke. Its all fun here. Try the kool aid, just don't drink the water. :cool:

jmatta 03-23-2010 02:18 PM

Sorry, I must clarify; I was referring to the tonneau cover, as I know what the speedster humps are. Is the tonneau canvas or another fiberglass add-on?

I'm somehow picturing a neat snap-on cover similar to the types many vintage sports cars adorned.

I have enough trouble with english, let alone spanish and the rest!

Lil bastard 03-23-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta

Sorry, I must clarify; I was referring to the tonneau cover, as I know what the speedster humps are. Is the tonneau canvas or another fiberglass add-on?

I'm somehow picturing a neat snap-on cover similar to the types many vintage sports cars adorned.

I have enough trouble with english, let alone spanish and the rest!

Yes, it is just like those we remember on open MG's, AH's, Porsches, etc. It is canvas and color-matched to the top color. It is option X68.

The problem with it is that it requires you to install Tenax fasteners to the dash and bodywork by drilling into it. That's the deal-breaker for most people.

Cheers!

jmatta 03-24-2010 04:20 AM

That's the deal-breaker for most people.

Just ended that bit of curiosity, as I was afraid that may be the case.