986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dent removal (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24108)

AV8OR 03-21-2010 04:57 PM

Dent removal

I recently purchased a 1999 Boxster. The trunk and hood have a few tiny dents (no paint damage) that were made from the inside and protrude outward, as if the trunk or hood was forced to close because the size of the payload. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and if there were any easy fixes without extensive body work and paint.

tnoice 03-21-2010 05:23 PM

try dry ice, saw it on youtube and have no idea if it works.. would love to see if it works. :dance:

97 Boxster 03-21-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AV8OR
I recently purchased a 1999 Boxster. The trunk and hood have a few tiny dents (no paint damage) that were made from the inside and protrude outward, as if the trunk or hood was forced to close because the size of the payload. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and if there were any easy fixes without extensive body work and paint.

My 97 has these protruding dents on the rear decklid. Very slight, but it does have them. I would love to get rid of them as well so let me know what works for you. Good luck.

Frank M 03-21-2010 06:11 PM

I had Dent Wizard remove 95% of mine.
He used a plastic tool and massaged them back.
Only i can see the remaining 5% and I have to strain to see them.

boxster6354 03-21-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
My 97 has these protruding dents on the rear decklid. Very slight, but it does have them. I would love to get rid of them as well so let me know what works for you. Good luck.

I have a rear deck lid if your interested, no scratches or dents located in Houston.

Only thing is it is Silver.

eightsandaces 03-22-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
I had Dent Wizard remove 95% of mine.
He used a plastic tool and massaged them back.
Only i can see the remaining 5% and I have to strain to see them.

Had the same service, get the right guy and you cannot relocate what he fixes.

dallison 03-22-2010 12:26 PM

i tried dry ice(we sell it) and unless i was doing it wrong, it didn't work for me.

paintless dent removal is pretty cheap.

boxster6354 03-22-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallison
i tried dry ice(we sell it) and unless i was doing it wrong, it didn't work for me.

paintless dent removal is pretty cheap.

This guy has a video showing "how to" remove the dent, but it really does not work well and he said with this method than when you take your car back out into the sun and the metal heats up the dent will re-form :confused:

I guess it is a video on not to do it ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm7WPlEyFc

dallison 03-22-2010 02:34 PM

on dark paint it more or less scratches the area, it does more harm than good. I tried it on my blue dd since i didn't care about the outcome.

al83s 03-22-2010 04:19 PM

I have several dents on rear trunk lid too, they seem pretty common. Common enough that i think i am going to glue some cork sheet on the inside of the trunks.
PDR does wonders, we use dent wizard at work but it is the experience of the particular technician that matters since the procedure is prety low-tech. I have practiced removing hail damage with the glue-on tool at work and its fun, yet I wouldn't do it on my car. There are cheaper cars to practice your dent dent removal skills than Porsche.
Even if the dent is too big to be removed completely, its always better to have less bondo if you decide to have it painted later.

gschotland 03-22-2010 04:49 PM

Paintless dent removal worked wonders on my doors, rear trunklid, and rear fenders. The guy I used does work for dealers and indy mechanics only, so I had to go my indy's shop for it to be done. He charged $50 or $75/panel (I think), no limit on the number of dents, very well worth it IMO. Ask your mechanic for a recommendation.

AV8OR 03-23-2010 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am going to try a local business that does paintless dent removal. Still can't figure out how the dents were made from inside the trunk and hood. Some of them have happened under the spar (frame) of the panel. Thanks again.

jcb986 03-23-2010 02:59 PM

I also had a dent removed by a pro like Dent Wizard. Hood got hit with a softball. He massaged it out and is nearly impossible to see...just amazing. Cost $50. :cheers:

Paul 03-23-2010 06:00 PM

I had more than a dozen dents fixed, some I thought would be impossible to fix, but they succeeded. One was a golf ball sized dent in the rear quarter panel that had been recently painted over (after the dent).

Lil bastard 03-23-2010 09:46 PM

As a preventative measure, I have installed Das Schild Interior Liners .

These attach easily and provide real protection against the dents you speak of from 'overfilling' the Trunk or Frunk.

You still cannot force them closed, but, you will feel the resistance well before causing any damage to the body panels thanks to these liners.

Keep an eye on them as they frequently have discounts and sales. I got the set - Trunk/Frunk for $150 shipped which is much cheaper than repeated PDR.

Cheers!