Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Screech at initial cold startup

Once a day, at first cold start up, there is a very loud screech almost as if the starter did not immediately disengage. At first I thought it might be the drive belt tensioner, but I replaced the drive belt and the tensioner seemed OK. It is a 97 Boxster.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on where to start? Again, after the first start, everything is fine for the rest of the day.

Thanks.

Bradster

Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #2

Garage
I had a simliar problem on cold day startup. A little screech then it got louder when I turned the steering wheel. Lasted for a couple of seconds and then it was gone. Checked the power steering level and it was below the low mark. Added fluid and it went away. Now watching for power steering fluid leaks just in case. Mechanic son said it could be cavitation when ps pump sucked in air when fluid was low.
bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

I've had the same problem on my '02 S for the last few months, but now that it's getting warmer the noise is gone. Searching the forum I found that (in my case) it's the starter motor and the noise can be corrected by removal, lubrication and reinstallation, but it often goes away in warmer weather.

Some other posts said to check out the bearings in the pulleys, but I don't think tha would be a little squeal on start up only.

Search and you will find.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

Thanks. That confirms my suspicion.

Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote