Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #1

My first service, replace all? Any Advise?

I brought yesterday my Boxster 987 (2005) for 30K service, my first service after I bought this pre-owned Boxster with 21K (kilometers) on the clock. The stealer wanted to replace so many things that it looked like I was being ripped of my wallet.

Their report.

Replace all tires as they are 2007/8 production date, however thread is still very good.
Re-flush brake oil due to age.
Change brake pads, while the pads are still looking OK.
Replace engine belt because the car is almost 5 years old..

Next to this they noticed some oil sweat and told me that the sealing needs to be replaced urgently. Well I have never seen any oil on the road/parking or seen any dropped level. Should this really be done as this is a expensive repair? Engines are allowed to sweat a bit right?

Further they noticed some crystals under the engine what they suspect coming from a coolant leakage. They told me that the coolant pump need replacement. Why the pump not the sealing I asked, well it was better. Nevertheless the drippings are so tiny why should I bother?

Any advise will be helpful for my wallet.

ps the car is mainly driven by my wife who doesn't abuse it.

Ed

eddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #2

To answer your questions...

Replace all tires as they are 2007/8 production date, however thread is still very good. Here in the US, the tire industry generally says 6 years regardless of wear. Might be shorter window where you are b/c of heat - You're call but ask around at another tire shop/mechanic.

Re-flush brake oil due to age.Should be done every 2 yrs regardless of usage/etc. I'd go ahead - but this is a fairly easy DIY and lot's of detailed instructions here

Change brake pads, while the pads are still looking OK.If pads measure ok, pass on this one

Replace engine belt because the car is almost 5 years old..Pass on them doing it. This is one of the easiest DIYs and parts cost $25 in US and DIY takes 30min. Generally it's a visual inspection but for a small amount of $, why not do it while in there especially since it's 5yrs old. Keep old as spare just in case. This may also fall under heat deterioration as tires...

Next to this they noticed some oil sweat and told me that the sealing needs to be replaced urgently. Well I have never seen any oil on the road/parking or seen any dropped level. Should this really be done as this is a expensive repair? Engines are allowed to sweat a bit right?Generally speaking IMNSHO, if it isn't dripping to the ground and level is constant, let it go unless it's coming from AOS but they didn't cite that.

Further they noticed some crystals under the engine what they suspect coming from a coolant leakage. They told me that the coolant pump need replacement. Why the pump not the sealing I asked, well it was better. Nevertheless the drippings are so tiny why should I bother? You can investigate the water pump while doing belt replacement above but w/ only 30k kilometers on the car, it should be fine. Might have just been due to spillage or??? If no issues cooling, you should be fine but visual of pump when replacing serp belt will tell you more.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

When you replace the belt, grab the water pump pulley and try to move it side to side. If it moves more than a tiny little bit, the bearing is probably on it's way out - but your car is probably too new. Closer to 50k miles is a typical point to replace.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #4

thanks!

Thanks for the answers they are very helpful.

Although I might be able to do some work myself I don't have the facilities for it.

The cost of changing the belt is about $170.
The service only $420.

Thanks again.

Ed
eddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy123
Thanks for the answers they are very helpful.

Although I might be able to do some work myself I don't have the facilities for it.

The cost of changing the belt is about $170.
The service only $420.

Thanks again.

Ed

You can do the belt in a drive way on a nice day, it really isn't hard, especially with a copy of the routing next to you. It's your call but 170 IMO is a hosejob!
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #6

My 2000 has 70K on the clock and I just did the serpentine belt and still could have gone another 10K. Tires, I see your in the Middle East, gets hot there, so dry rot and break down in the rubber maybe shorten tire life. Me, I would drive it until it really needs tires. As for the oil and water crystal, most likely there is no problem. After a good drive I will usually will have a drop under my car. No big deal. Welcome to 986.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #7

You can do the brakes easy. Once the car is jacked up and you pull the wheel off, it only takes a flat head screw driver, a little patience, and some WD-40.

Changing the water pump and the serp belt might not be a bad idea. From what I saw with my car and then read here on the forums, they seem to go bad in the 80K range.

If your tires are >3 years old you need to take the car away from your wife every so often and really drive it! I'd be happy if my tires lasted a whole year!

ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote