986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking at used Boxster S-no 'S' on deck lid? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24089)

rcautox 03-19-2010 06:27 PM

Looking at used Boxster S-no 'S' on deck lid?

I am looking at pre-owned Boxsters and found a 2002 S at a local dealer (not Porsche dealer). The car is a 6 speed, lined top, red brake calipers and the grill has 3 openings. However it does not have an 'S' next to the word 'Boxster' on the deck/rear. Is this OEM for a 2002?

ChrisZang 03-19-2010 06:36 PM

might have fallen off.
Does it have white instrument faces as well?

rcautox 03-19-2010 07:07 PM

It does have white gauges. I imagine if the 'S' fell off I should see some indication such as faded paint, an outline, etc.? Is the OEM S exhaust supposed to have two outlets and is the regular model supposed to have only a single outlet?

Adam 03-19-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcautox
It does have white gauges. I imagine if the 'S' fell off I should see some indication such as faded paint, an outline, etc.? Is the OEM S exhaust supposed to have two outlets and is the regular model supposed to have only a single outlet?

Yes two for the "S" and single for the base model. It sounds like emblem was removed either on purpose or fell off. It's not uncommon for emblems to get snagged on towels or whatever while washing/waxing the car.

ChrisZang 03-19-2010 08:41 PM

Oh yes, on the "S" the Boxster emblem is Titanium color on the base Boxster it's black

jacabean 03-19-2010 08:49 PM

dude if you can't distinguish an "S' from a base model you need to do more research

Daniel R 03-19-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean
dude if you can't distinguish an "S' from a base model you need to do more research

"Dude", I am sure that is what rcautox is doing on here. Doing research.

I question why anyone would waste time posting when they are not prepared to offer some useful guidance.

Welcome to the forum rcautox!

It sounds like it is an "S" just with the badge removed. Like others have said, they often get caught and can break when washing the car, or maybe the previous owner wanted a more understated look for whatever reason.

The one way to find out for sure is to take the VIN (the number you will find in the corner of the windscreen when looking from outside the vehicle) and call Porsche head office. Not only will they give you the model and year, but also the paint code and an entire list of options the car left the factory with. If you want to take it a step further, take the log book and see if the car was serviced at the Porsche dealership. If it was, call the dealer and they will be able to give you a rundown of everything that was ever done to the car, including the fitment of Original Porsche options that happened after delivery, and more importantly, any major problems that were possibly addressed by the previous owner/s.

Hope this helps.

demick 03-20-2010 05:23 AM

Or check for a 6-speed transmission - unless of course you are looking at a tip.

GTA_G20 03-20-2010 07:20 AM

he said it is a 6speed.

super66 03-20-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacabean

errr...based on the car he is describing, it could easily be a base boxster with some mods so lets be nice.

I would say verify the engine size, vin number was a great idea. I have a base 987 which I could paint calipers, change the faces, swap a bumper and muffler pipe and say here is my 's'. I would fool just about everyone.

The only think I would have to 'research' is the 5sp vs 6sp. Not sure if you could order a 987/986 base with a 6sp.

Lil bastard 03-20-2010 02:52 PM

To cut through all the crap... the answer is simple...

If the 5th character in the VIN # is a 'B' - it's an 'S' model. If the 5th character is an 'A', it's a Base model... Period !

The 5th Character cannot be anything but 'B' or 'A'!

The 5th Character is the engine code.

'B' is the engine code for the 3.2 Liter 6-cylinder which is only offfered on the Boxster S.

'A' is the engine code for either a 2.5 Liter 6-cyl. (only if the 10th character (Model Year) is an V, W, or X - '97, '98 or '99 respectively) or a 2.7 Liter 6-cyl. (only if the 10th character (Model Year) is an Y, 1, or 2 - '00, '01 or '02 respectively) indicating that it is a Base model.

No other VIN variation is possible and that 5th character is indisputable proof.

Cheers!

Lightning 03-20-2010 04:43 PM

FYI. They did not offer the 6-speed on the base model 2.7L until the 2005 987.

dallison 03-21-2010 04:47 AM

as others have said, it was taken off for some reason or another. I replaced my "boxster -s" with "roadster"

rob76turbo 03-21-2010 10:47 AM

Suncoast has badges

They have every possible combination of "Boxster" and "S" that you could possibly want. I removed mine with dental floss and used some goop off to remove the residue (albeit very gently), Next I waxed the same surface and applied the new script. Took maybe 20 min.

mptoledo 03-23-2010 04:55 PM

Lil bastard is right on, check the Vin #.
The cleanup guys probably got their rag or buffer caught on the "S". Its pretty easy as I broke my "B" in half.

ChrisZang 03-23-2010 06:58 PM

Ok, quick sanity check:

The original poster was not sure if the car was really an "S" because the "S" badge on the trunk was missing.
However, he found:
- 6 speed
- 3rd radiator opening
- red calipers
- dual exhaust

Ok, so now let's assume for one second that I am a very sneaky person who wants to sell a base Boxster as an "S". I go through all the trouble of adding a 6-speed, 3rd radiator, red calipers and a dual exhaust.
Does anyone really think that after all this trouble I wouldn't add the "S" badge?

I think we have enough evidence that it's a "S" ...

smshirk 04-14-2011 02:55 AM

Here is a very useful check VIN tool http://www.********************************************.com/life/vin/vin.php?vin

ekam 04-14-2011 04:00 AM

Maybe the previous owner wants other people to know he has a cheaper boxster! :D

audisnawb 04-14-2011 05:47 AM

Accident....

Im willing to bet it was in an accident and the auto body shop didnt replace it with the S badge just out of pure stupidity.

Even if it comes up clear from acciedents on carfax, autocheck, etc- it could have still been in one and just not reported to the police or insurance company.

Open the trunk lid, check the underside and see if it has the Porsche stickers from the factory in there and that they match the other numbers on the car.

:cheers:

Boxster101 04-14-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
Maybe the previous owner wants other people to know he has a cheaper boxster! :D

The "S" fell of the back of my Boxster, but I didn't worry about it because I'm okay with the size of my penis.