Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #1

need recomendation on tires

I have a 2000 Boxster 76,000 miles has road noise and would like to know what are the best tires to limit noise. don't think it is bearings but not sure how would you tell difference? email ibnole@comcast.net

ibnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #2

I recently replaced the OEM Yokohama's with Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs. The Michelin's are much quieter. I think it's a much nicer experience. They also grip extremely well in the wet. On the downside-my gas mileage dropped a bit, about .5 to 1 MPG (depending on the weather). Price wise they seemed to be just about the same as the Yokohama's.

Check-out the link for more.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Rib

good luck
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #3

the round ones are the quietest.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

I also have the Pilot sports which I like very well. I purchased KUMHO tires for the Fiat (best I could find in the size) and I'm impressed. I'll certainly consider them in the replacement mix when the time comes.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #5

Pilot sport ribs are what I went with a couple years ago.

Today I remembered why....WOW what an awesome day here in Clarksville. I had an appointment in Paris, Tn just past Kentucky Lake. After the meeting, I hustled the car through some twisties that run through Land Between the Lakes on my way back home.

The Pilots RIP!! Great grip and I had to push the car very hard to break the back end away in some corners. Michelin's are great tires!

The suspension is great as-is, but had my heart pounding there for couple seconds while on the edge and I thought maybe now I should seriosly look into the M030 suspension and realize what some others on this board already know??

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #6

Garage
i know quiet is a personal opinion... but i like my dunlop z1 star specs. they are uber sticky and in my opinion very quiet
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I also have the Pilot sports which I like very well. I purchased KUMHO tires for the Fiat (best I could find in the size) and I'm impressed. I'll certainly consider them in the replacement mix when the time comes.
I have Kumhos on my DD and so does Wifey. They have all been quiet, round, smooth, stayed in balance and lasted quite well. OEM Bridgstones on my CX7 lasted 38k, replaced with Goodyear Response Edge, were nice but only lasted 37k. Kumhos have 46k and are still looking strong and are still much more quiet than either of the other sets.
I have Sumitoma HTR ZIII on my 987 with 2k and they are very quiet and smooth. Enough so that Wifey noticed on the first drive.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #8

anything new will be much quieter
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

I had cheap Kuhmos on my Boxster when I bought it, and until I got them replaced, I would have sworn that the rear wheel bearings were shot. I got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, and they are much better. Great tire.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #10

If it's a wheel bearing, drive the car with the top up and the windows closed, and you or your passenger should be able to identify which corner of the car the noise is coming from. Then jack up the car, remove the wheel, put it in neutral and release the parking brake if it's a rear corner (but remember to block the front wheels) and rotate the hub/brake disc assembly. If it feels the least bit rough/grindy when you rotate it, it probably needs a new wheel bearing. Do remember that rotating a rear wheel will also rotate a half shaft and part of the diff.

As far a tires, Tire Rack has a nice survey section where people rate the tires on various aspects, and noise comfort is one of them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

People also post reviews on the tires. I know it's sometimes Joe Schmo filling out the surveys, but the massive number of responses they get tends to smooth out the data (at least on the surveys). Probably the most important aspect to the survey is "Would Buy Again?".

http://www.LightningMotorsports.US
http://www.youtube.com/LightningMotrsprtsUS

Last edited by Lightning; 03-20-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison
anything new will be much quieter
Exactly. When the tire wears down substantially the contact patch between rubber and road increases along with road noise so anything with renewed tread depth will be quieter.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #12

The problem with almost all owner posted tire reviews

is they are comparing worn down tires to new ones and their review will almost always be biased towards justifying the wisdom of their choice in purchasing the tires.

Plus they probably got an alignment and the tire pressures right for a change.

Michelin PS2 in specific model number for the Porsche, Kumho and Sumitomho HTRZ III are the tires I hear a lot about. But depends on what besides quiet you need. Ever drive in below 40 road temperatures? Then all-seasons. Or if you are in South FL, then maybe just UHP summer is the type.

No such thing as a perfect tire.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
is they are comparing worn down tires to new ones and their review will almost always be biased towards justifying the wisdom of their choice in purchasing the tires.

Plus they probably got an alignment and the tire pressures right for a change.

Michelin PS2 in specific model number for the Porsche, Kumho and Sumitomho HTRZ III are the tires I hear a lot about. But depends on what besides quiet you need. Ever drive in below 40 road temperatures? Then all-seasons. Or if you are in South FL, then maybe just UHP summer is the type.

No such thing as a perfect tire.
More true words were never spoken (or typed) !
I tend to search down the review threads to find drivers who have had the tires for at least 10k miles and have had several sets on the same car to compare. These reviewers seem to be more honest with themselves.
I had four sets in 80k miles on my RX8 and the Goodyear F1- GSD3 was head and shoulders above the others - on THAT car.
I only have 2k miles on the Sumis on my Box and they're only my second set on this car, so toss some of those salt grains over the shoulder when I say I'm happy, so far.

Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote