Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #1

Top - how to fix bent Clam-shell?

The drivers side cable for the top mechanism broke the other day. I had to pop off the struts for the top and the clam-shell to get the top closed. But because only the right side went up the clam-shell assembly is bent someplace preventing it from laying flat.

I am hoping when I actually fix the problem with the cable and re-attach the top and clam-shell all will sit flush again.

But for now I cannot figure out what part(s) is actually tweaked.
Any suggestion or experience on what is actually bent?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
pboxstercar

Bob's Top Shop!

http://www.bobstopshop.com/
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #3

Garage
Disconnect the attachments to the top from the actuators. Have someone hold the low side up above the closed position. Press down on the high side and take the warp out of the deck lid. It should close flat without the actuators. When you get the two actuators synched again then it will close flat. On my wifes Boxster, one of the cable ends had slipped into the cable and was not rotating causing one side to stop moving. So the same thing happened. It takes some fiddling but first you have to get the left and right actuators (silver disc things) moving together.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

I did try propping up the left side and push down on the right side, but not with the actuators attached (actuators are not currently connected). I may try with that again. I can live with manual operation of the top, but the car just looks silly with one side of the clam-shell sticking up

umm, thanks pboxster(?) I know bob and his top shop but I plan on doing this myself. When I have the time I intend to pull everything out (motor, cables, transmissions etc), clean, lube, and re-install.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #5

Garage
Don't attempt to straighten the decklid with the actuators attached. But try it with two people, it will be easier to get it just right.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
I did try propping up the left side and push down on the right side, but not with the actuators attached (actuators are not currently connected). I may try with that again. I can live with manual operation of the top, but the car just looks silly with one side of the clam-shell sticking up

umm, thanks pboxster(?) I know bob and his top shop but I plan on doing this myself. When I have the time I intend to pull everything out (motor, cables, transmissions etc), clean, lube, and re-install.
Kabel:

Here is a procedure, with photos, and with the clamshell still on the car:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6360-how-do-you-straighten-a-bent-clamshell/page__p__31769__hl__+clamshell%20__fromsearch__1&#entry31769

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #7

landrovered & Maurice, thank you. that was the reassurance I needed. I have successfully persuaded the clam-shell back into alignment so it sits flat now.
I swear I ran a search on renntech too and didn't find what i was looking for.

Now I just need to find the time to repair the broken cable.

Last edited by kabel; 03-18-2010 at 05:34 AM.