Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #1

Center dome light--LED--Possible?

OH by the way while modding on my license plate light tonight (see other thresd...dont waste your time reading the license plate thread...it shows how much of an idiot i can be) I put a "superwhite" bulb in my center interior light. I was not impressed at all.

Has anyone replaced the center dome light with a LED light?

Just for fun I put a red light in there that I took out of my boost gauge..It was not bright enough at all. After that a amber light from same boost gauge found its way into the light, I really like the amber light. I am going to live with it until I find a led light to go in its place.

Anyway...if you have replaced your center dome light with a LED light chime in on where you bought it and weather or not it was a worthy mod.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #2

I put the 194's white LED in the two doors and in the dome light and the side markers and the parking lights up front. I like the white lights but it not bright enough for reading anything as the dome light. I am going to try the five LED bulb or maybe the 6 high power ones for my center dome light, should be brighter. Plan on putting some red LED's for the rear parking lights (single LED bulb is not bright enough for rear side markers) and getting some amber one for the side markers.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html
- gone
Jay Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #3

I bought the 5 LED bulb from superbrightleds today, along with the leds for my lic plate.

I will lt you know if they are bright enough.

Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #4

I did my door lights while i did an LED changeover with good results. License plate, Overhead and the little lights on the doors all worked well. I was wondering what it would take to do the dash next.
If I remember, I can snap a couple pics. Lexus used LED on the license plates too, and they are much more crisp and defined.

Last edited by maxferran; 01-17-2008 at 11:14 AM.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

I ordered more bulbs from superbrightleds yesterday also. I ordered the high power 6 led one.

The dash, I plan on doing later also. Superbrightleds.com has those leds also. I wanted to pull the dash and verify what I needed first before I ordered them.

Check out this ebay ad for some details.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270198955528&rd=1

Jay
- gone
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #6

Unfortunetly, photography of lights is not my forte. The pics really dont look much like the real thing, but the true outcome is a bright white. They really lighten up the whole interior, but in the pics they just look like a blue spot light.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #7

I got my LEDs bulbs from superbrightleds.com yesterday and have all the bulbs replaced that light up when the parking lights are on. One problem I had was the rear parking/tail lights. I had to pull the (67-x9 LED bulb - type 1156 base) bulb apart to swap and resolder the inside connections. All the other lights were wedge type and just require to turn it around.

Our boxster tail light assembly apply the positive voltage to the side and negative/ground to the bottom of the bulb. Regular bulb don't care how it gets the voltage, but the LED bulbs are polarized and requires to be the opposite. If you pull out the tail light assembly out, you will see why it was easier to mod the LED bulb.

I also did the interior and license plate lights like maxferran pics. I got the brighter (WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb) for the dome light and they look great. Also replace the inside the trunk light too.

And the (H7-WHP DRL LED bulb H7 Type Daytime Running Lamp replacement bulb with High Power 1 Watt White LED) are not bright enough for anything. I was hoping to replace the foglights with it. Since I have the HID kit for my regular headlights.

Next, the dash lights and maybe the brake lights, reverse and turn signals.

No real benefits other than looks. LEDs are just COOL!

Jay
- gone
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Nichols
I got my LEDs bulbs from superbrightleds.com yesterday and have all the bulbs replaced that light up when the parking lights are on. One problem I had was the rear parking/tail lights. I had to pull the (67-x9 LED bulb - type 1156 base) bulb apart to swap and resolder the inside connections. All the other lights were wedge type and just require to turn it around.

Jay
Can you give us a list of all the bulbs/leds you ordered and where they go? I just did all he smd leds mod (A/C and switches) and want to do the rest as well.

By th way I went the UV way, which I do not know if it's safe, but looks awesome...
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #9

That certainly does look nice!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #10

Here is what I used.

I can't seem to upload pics, but pic are at the above website.

Mainly I used the (WLED-x LED Wedge Base Bulbs)

2 white ones for the front parking lights in the headlight assy.

2 more white ones for the interior doors.

2 amber ones for front side markers.

2 red ones for the rear tail light assy. side parking lights.

I used 1 white (WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulb) for the dome but (WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs) might fit better.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

2 red (9-LED #67) for the rear parking tail lights, but had to take the bulb apart and reverse the connections inside.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/festoon.html

2 white (36 x 10 mm Festoon base with 4 LEDs) for the license plate lights.

2 white (42 x 11 mm Festoon base with 6 LEDs) for trunk and front hood lights.

Haven't done the rest of the interior light yet, they have the small wedge for the instruments panel lights and the one for window switch and headlight control switches, but don't know the exact one to order yet.

Jay
- gone

Last edited by Jay Nichols; 01-29-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #11

I installed the 6 led light in my center dome yesterday, it came out really nice.
The 5 led that spreads light in every direction did not fit in my doors so I will order a smaller bulb.

So far I like the LED inside the car. Later on tonight I am going to change the lights in the license plate. SO far I think I will be happy with this mod.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Nichols
Here is what I used.

Haven't done the rest of the interior light yet, they have the small wedge for the instruments panel lights and the one for window switch and headlight control switches, but don't know the exact one to order yet.

Jay
Thanks for the list. For the window switches you need two smd PLCC-2 leds for each one and needs ironing (you have to remove the old ambers and iron the new). For the headlight switch you need the simple 3mm leds (again ironing to remove the old ones and to install the new). The worse part is that you can't remove the headlight switch from the car so you will need to iron in the car... Be carfull with the hot thing when you are in your lovely Box

After you do all that you would want to change the AC and radio leds, and eventually you will become a professional electrician (I know I have )

Good luck
George
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #13

Man, you did the hard stuff first!
- gone
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #14

I just ordered LEDS from superbrightleds as well to replace the bulbs in the dome light, headlight assembly parking light, side door, and license plate areas. Thanks Jay Nichols for providing the exact LEDS to get and maxferran for the photos. Can't wait for the LEDs to get here. Even after choosing the more expensive UPS shipping option, superbrightleds still beats the local shops by quiet a bit.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #15

Did you guys ever got to the instruments panel lights? If you have, what size?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #16

I went the other way myself. After de-ambering the outside, I ambered the inside. I put amber bulbs in my center dome, and doors. Installed amber led floor lights that work with the other interior lights and amber led courtesy floor lights that glow VERY dimly with the other led courtesy lights. I love the look. Soft amber light everywhere instead of bright a** light in my eyes.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #17

which one did you guys use for the doors?

and how many
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #18

Doors are regular wedge style LEDs. 1 on each side.

Make sure the ones you buy do not have LEDs that are widet than the base. It's a tight squeeze
Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
can anyone post pics where they'd swapped there interior LEDs out? curious to see.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #20

ok prob. a stupid question but how do you take off the dome and side door lights? i dont see any screws.

embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote