Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #1

changed battery - now hardly anything works

My batter was dead so I took it out of the car and put it on the charger. The next day (24hrs) I hooked it back up. As soon as it went in there was this high pitch whining sound coming from somewhere in the front trunk area. I go in to try and start the car but nothing. When the key is in the ignition nothing. No dash lights or anything. The buttons on the key dont do anything. However, I can hear air being blown and the lights in the ash tray and cigarette lighter are on. Is this a fuse issue? or a complete electrical breakdown? If it is a fuse how do I know which one to replace. This is a 2001 Boxster base. Please Help!

Klimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimo
My batter was dead so I took it out of the car and put it on the charger. The next day (24hrs) I hooked it back up. As soon as it went in there was this high pitch whining sound coming from somewhere in the front trunk area. I go in to try and start the car but nothing. When the key is in the ignition nothing. No dash lights or anything. The buttons on the key dont do anything. However, I can hear air being blown and the lights in the ash tray and cigarette lighter are on. Is this a fuse issue? or a complete electrical breakdown? If it is a fuse how do I know which one to replace. This is a 2001 Boxster base. Please Help!
You say "changed battery" then you say "put it on the charger." A normal car battery can only handle being run down a few times before it fails. And any battery older than 4 or 5 years is living on borrowed time.

You should probably have the battery tested at a local car parts store.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Let me clarify. The battery was new about 1 1/2 years ago. The car was sitting for about the last 90 days. Is that enough to completely kill the battery? My concern is that some things work and others don't. The blinkers work and I can flash the lights and there is air flowing through the vents and the lights in the ash tray and cig. lighter are on. No dash lights, nothing happens when i insert the key...

Thanks for your help
Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimo
Let me clarify. The battery was new about 1 1/2 years ago. The car was sitting for about the last 90 days. Is that enough to completely kill the battery? My concern is that some things work and others don't. The blinkers work and I can flash the lights and there is air flowing through the vents and the lights in the ash tray and cig. lighter are on. No dash lights, nothing happens when i insert the key...

Thanks for your help
Can you get things to work by jiggling or slightly turning the key in the lock?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #5

No that did not work
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #6

One of 3 things or any combo thereof;

Battery is kaput - running it down can damage the plates.

Alternator is kaput - trying to charge a failed battery, or lacking the stabilizing effect of the battery fried one or more pairs of diodes.

Starter Switch (ignition) - common failure on these cars - never If...always When - I always have a spare on hand - cheap.

Then there's the Perfecta or Trifecta...

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #7

The vent tube for the battery is not connected. Is this a problem? Where does the vent tube fit into the battery??

Last edited by Klimo; 03-16-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

Vent tube

doesn't affect ability to start.

And the vent tube connection would depend on the make/model of the battery. Some have a vent tube connection, some don't.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #9

First rule out the battery by getting it tested by a shop or big chain like Autozone. If it's iffy, just replace it. For a 1.5yr old battery you may have a warranty that will cover part of the cost of a new one.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #10

Do you have a voltmeter? I would check to see if the battery have the necesary 12.5V.

Does it attempt to turn over? Might be the starter? check the fuse as well.

I had to trouble shoot last summer and found out it was my cars ALT fuse & the starter. Go figure.

DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote