Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Squeel on start-up

I replaced my serpentine belt a few months ago, and lately when I start my Boxster I get a squeel. I did not replace any of the belt tensioner bearings. My Boxster has 68,000 miles and I know from previous belt replacements, something usually will go bad not long after. New belts are very tight and put a lot of stress on a part getting ready to go bad. Which part do you think it is. Me, I was waiting for it to get constant so I can hear exactly which part it is.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

Apart from the belt slipping (which it shouldn't as the tensioner should be - er - tensioning), the rollers usually get noisy when worn, only shreaking when siezed. The next thing to look at is the starter. Lots of people report that the starter gives a short, loud and horrific shreak for about a second as the bendix engages. The fix is to remove the starter and clean off the crud.
That's assuming the neighbours cat isn't missing......
Old 03-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

http://www.fallastarmedia.com/vortex/starter/starternoise.wav

Is this the sound your car is making? It's the starter motor then. Check out this thread if so:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2269482&page=1
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

My '02 S w/73k miles started doing the same thing about a month ago. 99% sure it's the starter. I was thinking I'd have to drop $150-$200 on a reman., but not any more... Yeah, baby!
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #5

Search the forum for starter DIY. One thing I learned is to remove the interior access panel too. With long extensions, you can get to the starter bolts. Its close to impossible to get them from the top (I did but it was not fun).
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Apart from the belt slipping (which it shouldn't as the tensioner should be - er - tensioning), the rollers usually get noisy when worn, only shreaking when siezed. The next thing to look at is the starter. Lots of people report that the starter gives a short, loud and horrific shreak for about a second as the bendix engages. The fix is to remove the starter and clean off the crud.
That's assuming the neighbours cat isn't missing......
It is not the starter for sure, since it makes this noise after the engine starts. Sometimes it will squeel after running for a while. I know it's a tensioner or a idler, but which one is the question. I am going to run it for a while a see if it gets constant which will make it easier to pin point.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #7

Garage
Aos

Could be the AOS going bad. Email Jake Raby about it. He saved my Democrat (ass).

mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote