986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what do you think of 19in Ruf replicas (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24017)

Stunin_Stud 03-14-2010 10:25 AM

what do you think of 19in Ruf replicas

I just bought my first set of wheels from ebay. It was $659 for all four wheels brand new so I thought it would be a good deal. I will be replacing my stock 18in sport classics. Anyone have these ruf replica wheels? If so how do you like them? does anyone know the weight and have any idea on the quality?

also would I have to recalibrate the speedo or do alignment since im going from 18 to 19in?

thanks guys

spyder803 03-14-2010 12:34 PM

I am currently looking for some new wheels and tires as well, who did you purchase them from? Do you have a link?

Quickurt 03-14-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunin_Stud
I just bought my first set of wheels from ebay. It was $659 for all four wheels brand new so I thought it would be a good deal. I will be replacing my stock 18in sport classics. Anyone have these ruf replica wheels? If so how do you like them? does anyone know the weight and have any idea on the quality?

also would I have to recalibrate the speedo or do alignment since im going from 18 to 19in?

thanks guys

Tirerack will list 19" alternative tires for your Box that will be the same rolling radius as your OEM tires. No need to adjust anything with your speedo. At $659 for the entire set, I would heavily question both weight and strength.

Stunin_Stud 03-14-2010 09:40 PM

The wheels weigh 35Lbs each....yea i didnt know that when i got it but is that really heavy for 19's?

Perfectlap 03-15-2010 06:52 AM

not that heavy but still porky. The OEM 18 Turbo twists are like 30 pounds, so yours are ~18% heavier than stock with the understanding that you're going up to 19".
The factory Carrera lights at 18" are 20 pounds btw.

ANother thing, it's better to have a light tire on a heavy wheel than a heavy tire on a light wheel.

Johnny Danger 03-15-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

The wheels weigh 35Lbs each....yea i didnt know that when i got it but is that really heavy for 19's?

My Champion wheels (19 inch) weigh in at approximately 19 pounds each. Compared to your wheels, this translates into a reduction of roughly 60 lbs. of unsprung, rotational mass. In my opinion, there would be a considerable difference between the two in terms of performance (i.e. acceleration, braking, handling and feel). That was certainly the case for me when I upgraded from the oem wheels to the Champions.

keithl 03-15-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

35lbs is quite heavy for a 19".