Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #1

Garage
Talking Anyone in New Jersey?

Hey guys!

Newbie here. Well newbie in the Boxster world but not in the Porsche one so I know what it means owning one of these beasts.

I am asking about NJ for one reason. I found a nice Boxster S, 2001, with 47k on it and it seems the vehicle is in good shape. All the questions I asked were promptly answered and everything seems to be there from spare keys to papers/books/etc and the car was just serviced (the dealer is a VW dealer by the way and got the car on a trade). No leaks anywhere and the dealer is offering a 3 month/3,000 mile warranty to make me feel better.
Price is $17,500 after I hassled them.

Anyone in NJ willing to take a look at the car at my expense and report back?
I have a deposit on it and if I do not like what I see when I go to close the deal they simply refund me the money, so nothing to lose.

Any comments about the price? And again, any fellow Boxster owners in NJ willing to help a poor soul in Canada?

Cheers guys!

CR

crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

you can go lower
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

I paid $140 for a diagnostic from Ray Catena in Edison,NJ. Its the top dealer here in NJ. You should offer to pay the seller to take it there for an inspection and have him send you the print out. Important to check is the clutch, suspension, brake wear, etc. I'm assuming the car is close to central NJ however.
I had the car towed to another Porsche dealer in Parsipanny I think, Paul Miller Porsche, for some work. I was too busy to drive it in. Unfortunately that's still the case these days!
Another thing, the diagnositc is a great bargaining chip. If they find it needs x dollars of work you can use that to haggle for a lower price. At 47K miles its 10K miles short of the big maintenance jobs mentioned above.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #4

I am a new owner myself so I am unqualified to make a good determination about the mechanical condition of the car. That being said, my sister lives in the same town as your dealer. I was visiting her 2 weeks ago, the dealer has a number of Porsches on his lot (even though he is a VW dealer) so I would play hardball. I paid $12,500 for mine with 67k miles but the prior owner did not do the 60k service. In hindsight I probably paid too much. I had to do brakes/rotors/O2 sensor/oil/air filters, and am still working through the 60k service issues. So that added about $1k so far. If you want an amateur inspections, contact members of the local PCA here in NJ. They are rather active and a number of members of the Board of Dir.....live in that town/immediate area.
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #5

$12500 is high?
What options did your Boxster come with? (Litronics, 18" wheels, aero, etc).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

CROD ~ jump on Craigslist and search Northern NJ for sale items, enter Porsche Boxster.... Are you looking at the Black/Black 2001 from Bernardsville VW .... It has 67K miles??? As I mentioned they have a number of them in their lot so it may be a different one that you are looking at.....I think they also list on EBay????
DRL hack
Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

I'm about 25 mins from that VW dealer and have seen that particular car advertised for months, the price steadily dropping. Think they started at $21-$22k 8 months ago. I agree, it's way overpriced even at $17.5k, and I think you'd find their warranty to be worth zero. Trade-in value on it's about $12k and I doubt they gave more than that in trade. The market is flooded with similar cars.

If $17-$18k's your budget you can do so much better. Certainly an '02 S, maybe even an '03 S with a bit higher mileage, which isn't necessarily a negative if it's been well cared for and has service records. Why pay a significant premium to buy from a dealer when there's absolutely no advantage for you being so far away? You're so much better off buying from an individual, specifically an enthusiast who's loved the car and treated it right.

Keep looking. You can do much better.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #8

I paid $15,700 for my 2000 S with 62,000 miles on it. It was a one owner and extremely well kepted. Sticker was just under $70,000 new. I have done the 60,000 mile major and also replaced rotors and pads and upgraded the tires...about $2 grand here. Also you should be aware of the IMS issue and especially if it's a stick. Mine's a TIP and TIP's have less of an issue in this area plus the 3.2 has near bullet proof cylinders.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, after doing a PPI with the Porsche dealer, the results were not that great and it is a no go for sure. Some leaks noticed (RMS), clutch will need to be replaced probably in the next 6 months, hole on the plastic window in the back and several other little things, including a small crack/chip on the windshield.
It is the one Trend Motors VW has for sale, a 2001 S, and now they are asking $17,800.
I am talking to a private owner that has a very similar car but with much better options, 10k miles LESS and in great condition. That will probably be the one I will end up getting!
I will keep you posted for sure!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

consider this one

CROD ~ Found this one locally on craigslist....you may want to consider it...
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1649281924.html
Looks nice to me...and it's local if you want someone to take a look for you...

DRL hack