986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I own a ....Toyota? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23973)

boxzilla 03-10-2010 09:07 AM

I own a ....Toyota?

Uncontrolled Rapid Acceleration? ..... I experience that everytime I drive my car!

Boxzilla
2001 Black "Toyota" Boxster
:)

pboxstercar 03-10-2010 09:13 AM

"Uncontrolled Rapid Acceleration? ..... I experience that everytime I drive my car!"

Too bad Porsche is not experiencing these problems. It would be a perfect defense. Your honor - yes I was speeding but it was the car not me - really! lol

Samson 03-10-2010 09:14 AM

Heh, more that you might think. You do know that in the '90s, Porsche hired Toyota to fix their inefficient production methods and help make them profitable again, right? :)

pboxstercar 03-10-2010 09:28 AM

Yes but did you know that Toyota hired two former NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) employess.

They helped limit the scope of the "unintended acceleration" investigation being conducted by NHTSA between 2004 and 2007.

landrovered 03-10-2010 09:45 AM

On a technical note, the accelerator pedal on my 01 works fine well but I have noticed on the highway that the exact point where I am cruising, it has a slight notchy spot, making me either accelerate or decelerate slightly. It feels like it could use a shot of WD40. I have looked through the service manual and cannot find any discussion of the accelerator pedal in it.

Is there a place to lube the mechanism so that it is smoother under your foot?

Boxtaboy 03-10-2010 09:46 AM

Nope. Instead, Porsches suffer from unintended engine implosion. :D

JAAY 03-10-2010 10:20 AM

I have 2 yotas and love them both.. FJ and a Rav4

pboxstercar 03-10-2010 10:24 AM

Report: After NHTSA investigator hired by Toyota, serious unintended acceleration cases ignored

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/05/report-after-nhtsa-investigator-hired-by-toyota-serious-uninte/

P.S. I just recently offered to buy my mother-in-law a new Toyota Prius :)

boxzilla 03-10-2010 10:28 AM

I think the Toyota recall should involve:
1) Bring car into dealer
2) Slap "Porsche" emblem on it
3) Sent back out
4) Fixed!

pboxstercar 03-10-2010 10:56 AM

"I think the Toyota recall should involve:
1) Bring car into dealer
2) Slap "Porsche" emblem on it
3) Sent back out
4) Fixed!"

ooooh - that is cold! :D

root_werks 03-10-2010 10:59 AM

I have a theory on the generation of autos that use the pedal-by-wire. I know electronics only a bit, not an expert by any stretch. But think about TPS units or anything that has basically a Potentiometer like a stereo volume control. What happens when they start to wear out? Stereo volumes can sometimes really JUMP HIGH or tank low at the slightest twitch of the knob.

Hmm, so what happens when you apply that same basic technology to gas and brake pedals? Then add 10+ years of use and even abuse to the parts. Wow, that paints a pretty picture huh?

My theory is that autos using this technology will either become junk quicker than other autos or certain autos will have retro-kits to move them back to a mechanical connection if possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, yeah, a smart person can keep a car maint'd and up to date blah, blah. But while a person might be smart enough to do that, people are stupid. The masses won't causing even more incidents.

jcb986 03-10-2010 03:55 PM

I have the same problem with uncontrolled acceleration. My foot tells my leg lets get going. My leg then tells my body here we go and my brain says wait for me. And when it catches up, it says...go faster, faster. burp :cheers: