Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #1

Engine Number Location

Hey Guys. First off, I did run a search and the only definitive answer (that I could understand) looks to be archived from 2005, I couldn't pull it up. My question; where exactly on a 3.2 Boxster S motor is the number starting with M96, I need to get it to Dean at Flat6Innovations for his records. I've been under the car all around the sump plate looking for it and for the life of me I can't find it, even with the solvent and rag Dean suggested. Any help would be appreciated.....Mark.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

I'm assuming that Porsche stamped their engine numbers in the same place for both left hand and right hand drive models...
My RH drive car engine number is on the right hand side of the engine, stamped on a flange just above where the rearmost sump bolt is situated.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 03-11-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
Hey Guys. First off, I did run a search and the only definitive answer (that I could understand) looks to be archived from 2005, I couldn't pull it up. My question; where exactly on a 3.2 Boxster S motor is the number starting with M96, I need to get it to Dean at Flat6Innovations for his records. I've been under the car all around the sump plate looking for it and for the life of me I can't find it, even with the solvent and rag Dean suggested. Any help would be appreciated.....Mark.
Core:

The engine number is stamped onto a flat protrusion located just above where the oil pan meets the bottom of the block, all the way at the rear corner of the oil pan, on the passenger side.

Here is are two photos which should help to orient you. (Note that the thermostat has been removed in this photo and that if you don't have headers, the exhaust manifold will look different, and a lot "flatter"):

In this photo,, the opening onto which the thermostat is normally mounted is at the bottom right, and the engine number is all the way at the bottom of the photo, near the left edge of the photo.

Here is a closer view of the raised boss onto which the engine number is stamped:

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 AM   #4

Thanks Maurice. That is exactly the kind of help I was looking for, very much appreciated......Mark.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote