Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Boxster noob questions

Hi,

I have a couble of kinda silly questions, I tried searching the forum (and bing (yes I use bing) and didn't find any answers.) I don't have owners manual (it should be here soon)

1. I have a button for rear glass/mirror defrost... what it does? I have a plastic window on my 2k boxster
2. Clutch.. it's really stiff and takes very high.. if I'm at the stop light and I put in 1st gear, and keep the clutch pressed... my foot get's tired in 60 sec... is it normal?
3. Is there any way to adjust the clutch to make it lower/easier to press?

I know that first answer about clutch... "change it!" unfortunately I had a hard time convincing my wife to get a boxster (I won because it was so damn cheap) so spending 20% of car cost for clutch replacement is not an option unless clutch sompletly brakes..

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Hi,

I have a couble of kinda silly questions, I tried searching the forum (and bing (yes I use bing) and didn't find any answers.) I don't have owners manual (it should be here soon)

1. I have a button for rear glass/mirror defrost... what it does? I have a plastic window on my 2k boxster
2. Clutch.. it's really stiff and takes very high.. if I'm at the stop light and I put in 1st gear, and keep the clutch pressed... my foot get's tired in 60 sec... is it normal?

I know that first answer about clutch... "change it!" unfortunately I had a hard time convincing my wife to get a boxster (I won because it was so damn cheap) so spending 20% of car cost for clutch replacement is not an option unless clutch sompletly brakes..

Thanks
Sasha
1-The car is wired for the glass window in the optional hard top.
2-Typical sign of a clutch wearing out.
3-The force is not adjustable.

A Porsche is an expensive car, whether it was cheap to buy or not. Often the cheaper it is to buy, the more it will cost to get it in tip-top shape.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
A Porsche is an expensive car, whether it was cheap to buy or not. Often the cheaper it is to buy, the more it will cost to get it in tip-top shape.
+1 on this. Sasha, you need to prepare your wife for the couple of grand you may need to spend on your Boxster every year for the first two or three years.

Pity you didn't find this forum and my web site (link below) before you plunked down your cash on that Boxster. It just might have saved you a pile of "I told you so" from the wife.

I take it you didn't get a pre-purchase inspection on the car from a seasoned Porsche tech. I didn't either. Live and learn I guess.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

I usually don't keep it in clutch on traffic lights.. I learned from this forum that..
I gave an example to show how hard the clutch is...

As for inspection.. I did an inspection at Porsche dealership.. and all they found was:
1. Broken ignition switch (it was my first DIY)
2. Worn brakes and disks
But I have no history of car... and I didn't even dream of porsche before buying it..

I was looking for cheap daily commuter.. and I went out to buy a Chevy Aveo... and ended up with my baby Boxster for same price

Thanks
Sasha
Old 03-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
1 - There are heaters in the side mirrors that that switch activates for a few minutes, it will also activate the defroster on the optional hardtop and optional glass soft top upgrade.
2 - Don't leave it in gear at stop lights.
3 - No, get used to it. Give it a few weeks and you won't even notice. (Unless you are switching between cars a lot)

Congrats on the car, but like others said be prepared to spend some cash. It may have cost the same as an Aveo but it doesn't cost the same to keep running. For instance, yesterday I spent $350 on two new rear tires, thanks to a 10¢ nail in my sidewall. On a regular sedan I would spent around $200. (BTW it actually cost $500 since my alignment was off, plus tax.)

The Boxster is a great car, but they cost more than an Aveo to keep running (so brace yourself)!

Last edited by rick3000; 03-09-2010 at 04:35 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #6

Since we are on noob questions... can you guys give me a few driving tips?

I usually let go of clutch slowly (suck if you want to make traffic light race )
If let go of clutch faster car struggles a bit and dies..

I try to keep it at 2500-4500 RPM (I slide closer to 2k in 2nd gear in stop and go traffic). There are times when I keep it at 4000RPM for 10-15 min.. is it ok? or should I upshift?

Any other good tips?

Also.. I noticed that today my car heated more then usually while staying in traffic.
How do I check if cooling fans are running or not? I read it might be a cause for that.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 03-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #7

Not sure about #1, but I felt my clutch also catches very high (compared to my other cars). The clutch is BRAND NEW as well.

You'll get use to the clutch eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Hi,

Thanks
Sasha
DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #8

Why do you leave it in gear at the lights?? Why not just select neutral and release the clutch pedal.
If the clutch is as worn as you think & you want to maximise its remaining lifespan, give it a break - don't leave the car in gear while stopped, don't ride the clutch while stationary on an incline and don't slip it too much when taking off from a stop!
You may just prolong its life an extra few thousand miles.....