Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #21

Cel??

Any problems with check engine light or did you leave the o2 sensors? I have a 97 and think about removing the CATS and replacing with pipes.

The other option would be to holllow out the CATS. Any opinions?

TechArt Strut Brace Front and Rear
Technobrace (Thanks Pedro)
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #22

Garage
you could hollow out the cats but you would probably get a CEL since (correct me if im wrong) you only have 2 cats... whereas my car has 4 so I just removed the last one on each side. and would get the same effect with putting in pipes...

but for me no check egine light, of course I left the O2s in (that would have lead to a CEL for sure) and also it some got rid of an aweful drone that I had.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #23

As long as the sensors are still in place, I dont see why it would effect them. The CAT bypass pipes have threads to put the snesors back in place.
TechArt Strut Brace Front and Rear
Technobrace (Thanks Pedro)
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #24

lobo-

1) what kind of aftermarket muffler are you running?

2) can you post any sound clips / video files??

3) you in so cal - I'd love to hear it in PERSON vs a sound file... I'm near San Diego.

i've got a pedro muffler and have been thinking about secondary cat delete and like you - i figured i'd just find a muffler shop to cut the cats out... but the fear is - when it's time to smog, you could fail the visual. depends how well the shops know boxsters. some may not know that the car has 4 cars vs only 2...if they don't know what to look for - they may pass you..but if you hae what appeas to be welded custom looking pipes that might be a dead give away...

i like that idea of getting some used ones and then gu tting the cats on them...and then put them back in.... or just gut the ones on your car..how hard would that be? i don't know if you can gut them while they are on the car, or if you'd have to cut them out...gut them..then weld them back in....that might be obvious too..

nice bypass pipes like fabspeed might look OEM enough that they woudl pass the visual... just some thoughts..

post up some video!!! wanna hear it!!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #25

Garage
im working currently on getting some sound bytes going but unfortunately Ive been very busy moving to a new place.

as far as passing inspections im not too worried. besides it looks like a cat-back system so no one would really know the difference. unless like you said they know boxsters. i just met a neighbor of mine who has a welder so i may just end up welding it in.

the muffler is a deluboz.

i heard bashing on the cats breaks up the insides or using a long piece of metal to go in there and break it up... cant speak out of experience tho.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote