Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

where do I get this shifter?

saw this photo in a post by "boxtaboy". it looks cool. i have a 986 BASE..not sure if I can fit that shift boot with the silver trim or not? looks nice.

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #2

Should have left a note on the window...Maybe you still can if you see it all the time.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The trim around the shifter is an extra, but the shifter itself looks like a Porsche Aluminum Look shifter, maybe with deviated stitching. I am sure Boxtaboy can clarify, you might try sending him a message. My Boxster came with that shifter, however they run about $300-600 used/new.

Last edited by rick3000; 02-24-2010 at 11:18 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
The trim around the shifter is an extra, but the shifter itself looks like a Porsche Aluminum Look shifter, maybe with deviated stitching. I am sure Boxtaboy can clarify, you might try sending him a message. My Boxster came with that shifter, however they run about $300-600 used/new.
I paid $50 from DC Automotive for mine. Man was that a steal.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I haven't gone out of my way to look for them, but just from browsing on eBay they go for a lot. However, I am sure you could get one way cheaper than what I listed from someone parting a Boxster.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Yes, it will fit your car. The trick is finding the silver horseshoe trim, as not many places sell just the boot. I got mine from www.carnewal.com. He sells just the silver boot trim piece. Just go on that site and then click on interior and P86, and it will show you a variety of shift knobs/trim. Alternatively, you can wait for a used one to pop up on eBay, if you want to pick one up for less.

I also like to switch between the shifter I have above and the 987 style knob which I adapted to our 986 leather boot so that it fits our car. Suprisingly, the aluminum ball type shift knob in my first pic is real aluminum and leather, whereas the 987 shifter I got in the pic below is just plastic painted to look like aluminum with pleather on the knob. Cheapo! The silver horseshoe trim piece is also a painted plastic part in case you were wondering.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 02-25-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
You can get the speedball shifter from Suncoast. $399

here's the link

[IMG]https://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/5speedexclusiveknob.jpg[/IMG]

Now does anyone know where you can get the aluminum trim that hugs the base of the shift boot? Been looking for that.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
You can get the speedball shifter from Suncoast. $399

here's the link

[IMG]https://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/5speedexclusiveknob.jpg[/IMG]

Now does anyone know where you can get the aluminum trim that hugs the base of the shift boot? Been looking for that.
I answered the question in my post above. Go to www.carnewal.com, and then click on INTERIOR, and then click on P86. Then, you can find various knobs and boots. Here's the direct link to the horseshoe trim with the boot:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p96045.htm

Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

How funny I just bought this same shifter. The call Suncoast they'll give you a better deal. It's the best looking shifter I've seen for the Boxster but the trim looks good with it too.
Chris
Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #10

Not for everyone I realize but I went this route

blue piping to match my interior, easy to make this look factory at the base with stock pieces

http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/933895145/?s=1267088163

With this knob

http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/798550752/index.html

I love it, as a Sicilian I can tell you the Italians know leather my friends, at 150 it spanks the factory unit IMO.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Not for everyone I realize but I went this route

blue piping to match my interior, easy to make this look factory at the base with stock pieces

http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/933895145/?s=1267088163

With this knob

http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/798550752/index.html

I love it, as a Sicilian I can tell you the Italians know leather my friends, at 150 it spanks the factory unit IMO.
Is that knob a direct fit for the factory shifter, or did you need to do some rigging to get it to fit properly? The price is right.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
Is that knob a direct fit for the factory shifter, or did you need to do some rigging to get it to fit properly? The price is right.

The attachment system consists of three Allen heads, in a triangular fashion, which secure an "under nipple" which the knob then attaches to. I don't recall whether it fits over the factory end as I elected to trim a small amount off the end of my shifter. After owning the car long enough I decided about 1.5" less on the shifter was optimal for me instead of going with a quick shift kit. It's nice and light and the quality is excellent IMO.

FYI in the ad it says 16mm or less shaft, call for fitment. this place has some awesome knobs, pick some you like and call for fitment, good luck..

Look at this bad boy
http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/2002908688/index.html

Last edited by eightsandaces; 02-25-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #13

Does it bother any of you that the reverse position is wrong? I'm not suggesting that you'll forget how to reverse, but rather that it would be nice to have it set correctly.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
Does it bother any of you that the reverse position is wrong? I'm not suggesting that you'll forget how to reverse, but rather that it would be nice to have it set correctly.
It doesn't look like the Momo knob even has a shift pattern though, no?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #15

i had that momo knob on a former car - S60R... albeit mine was two tone..black leather on bottom and aluminum on top...great qualty knob and the size/shape feels good in your hand.

i've never been a huge fan of the OEM knob in our boxsters...but am hesitant to hack up my shifter and install an aftermarket knob.

those momo knobs have a setup that would best attack to a more rounded shape shifter stalk..IIRC... and our shifter stalk is more flat.... has your momo knob stayed on pretty well or have you had any issues with it coming loose????

that 987 shifter looks pretty good..almost a compromise between a true ball shifter and the pistol grip one we have on the 986..... i like that! how hard was it to make that?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
It's not hard at all. All you have to do is source a 986 boot to mate to the 987 knob, because the 987 boot doesn't work with it on the 986. The boot from your standard pistol grip knob won't work because it doesn't come off the knob itself. Only the upgraded aluminum knobs have boots that come off the knobs. Thus, you would need to source both the 986 upgraded leather boot, and the 987 knob. You could then just separate the boot from the 987 knob (there's just a ring clip that holds it on the knob), and then transfer it onto the 986 boot.

The 987 knob itself fits perfectly on the shift shaft without any need to modify it. It just presses on.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #17

Just saw this on Ebay...not bad and it comes with the aluminum horseshoe. Only $149. You can specify 5 or 6 speed and shift pattern.

Ebay listing

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i had that momo knob on a former car - S60R... albeit mine was two tone..black leather on bottom and aluminum on top...great qualty knob and the size/shape feels good in your hand.

i've never been a huge fan of the OEM knob in our boxsters...but am hesitant to hack up my shifter and install an aftermarket knob.

those momo knobs have a setup that would best attack to a more rounded shape shifter stalk..IIRC... and our shifter stalk is more flat.... has your momo knob stayed on pretty well or have you had any issues with it coming loose????

that 987 shifter looks pretty good..almost a compromise between a true ball shifter and the pistol grip one we have on the 986..... i like that! how hard was it to make that?

I have never had my MOMO loosen, however this isn't my first experience with such attachments. I wanted my shifter 1" shorter, personal taste. I gripped it below many times before making my final decision then trimmed it and I've been happy with the result. If a person wishes to maintain the stock length and use a Momo, the tip will need shaping. The good news it there is a nice block of material to plan and fashion the correct Momo post from. As with a root canal the better the post prep the better the job. The bad news is I found the steel of that shifter to be made out of Roswell strength, outer world material. Then again, I didn't have anything but muscles, hand saws and various files to shape it with. I can vouch for the Momo Italian glove leather boots with color piping to be of the highest quality. If you're careful you can use the stock connection to make a neat skirt, I'll photograph mine Monday.

PS The knob and boot screw together for a very finished look.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 02-27-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
Just saw this on Ebay...not bad and it comes with the aluminum horseshoe. Only $149. You can specify 5 or 6 speed and shift pattern.

Ebay listing

Here it is for an S for $15 less from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-Boxster-911-Schaltknauf-Leder-beleuchtet_W0QQitemZ250578186198QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item3a579fafd6
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 AM   #20

Awe dammit! I just bought it at the higher price.