Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #1

OBC temp sensor Retrofit

Is it possible to retrofit the temp sensor into the P-side front grill of early '97's (i.e., was the rest of the wiring already installed in ALL Boxsters)?

This would be on a '97 that originally came without the temp sensor.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

Yes, it's possible. You need to locate the temo sensor wiring connector behind the bumper and of course buy the sensor and the grill (which has a special 'O' holder for the sensor to snap into. Then just get someone with a durametric, PIWIS or PST2 to initialize the OBC.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Not to knock LB's answer, but I've got a 97 and did a bunch of research on this when I first bought my car.

My 97 does not have the temp sensor plug behind the bumper into which to plug a sensor.

The certified porsche tech that works on my car told me that without it, running a wire and finding the right place to solder it would be a sizable undertaking that wasn't worth the time, labor, and money. He recommended I look on my iPhone for the current outside temp!

I did not like his answer, and would still like to do this mod if anyone can provide clear instructions as to how to add the temp sensor to a car without the wiring or plug for it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Yes, it's possible. You need to locate the temo sensor wiring connector behind the bumper and of course buy the sensor and the grill (which has a special 'O' holder for the sensor to snap into. Then just get someone with a durametric, PIWIS or PST2 to initialize the OBC.

Cheers!
Thanks!

I'll look for that wiring as soon as the weather warms up and I hope it's actually there. Good opportunity to clean out the radiators again.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Not to knock LB's answer, but I've got a 97 and did a bunch of research on this when I first bought my car.

My 97 does not have the temp sensor plug behind the bumper into which to plug a sensor.

The certified porsche tech that works on my car told me that without it, running a wire and finding the right place to solder it would be a sizable undertaking that wasn't worth the time, labor, and money. He recommended I look on my iPhone for the current outside temp!

I did not like his answer, and would still like to do this mod if anyone can provide clear instructions as to how to add the temp sensor to a car without the wiring or plug for it.
Randall,

According to Factory Repair Manual, '97 ONLY wiring diagram - Sheet 3, there is indeed wiring to the P-side fender well for the outside temperature sensor - the connector will be obvious and it is fed by a Brown/Blue wire and a Brown/Orange one. This is for the M659 OBC option which I believe is in all US Market cars.

I can send you the diagram if you wish.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Randall,

According to Factory Repair Manual, '97 ONLY wiring diagram - Sheet 3, there is indeed wiring to the P-side fender well for the outside temperature sensor - the connector will be obvious and it is fed by a Brown/Blue wire and a Brown/Orange one. This is for the M659 OBC option which I believe is in all US Market cars.

I can send you the diagram if you wish.

Cheers!
Thanks for the specification of the wire colors. That will make it much easier to determine whether they are there.

I have a factory manual, so I will look at Sheet 3 as well.

Thanks again.

Regards, Maurice.