986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best exhaust system for 987 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23852)

heatfan5 02-28-2010 03:55 PM

Best exhaust system for 987

Any suggestions. I have a regular boxster not an S. I want a nice deep sounding exhaust tone.

gschotland 02-28-2010 03:58 PM

This topic's been beaten to death. The forum search feature is your friend.

husker boxster 02-28-2010 05:38 PM

Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) has an all-around great sound.

graphicjoe 02-28-2010 06:07 PM

Stock.

Joe

eightsandaces 03-01-2010 02:44 AM

I don't see anything wrong with making these cars louder, they're Porsche sports cars, they are not meant to whisper. However, I would suggest making a internal decision as to how much louder a car you would like, the differences among these muffler systems can be profound. I am adding headers this weekend, they were very cheap so how the sound will be is ??? Whatever you do, keep the stock pipes, if my car sounds obnoxious and ****************ty this year, I'll crawl back under and put the restrictive stock manifold back on, NBD...

kabel 03-01-2010 05:50 AM

I vote none. Straight pipes ftw.

Lobo1186 03-01-2010 06:22 AM

I just heard a boxster at an autocross and it sounded mean as hell with according to the owner 99$ chinese headers and midas straight pipes. :cheers:

eightsandaces 03-01-2010 02:35 PM

Take my advise, soak the bolts till your sick of crawling under and then keep doing it anyway. I was 10/12 breaking the same two on each side, which leads me to believe they are the hottest. These bolts seemed extra wimpy, then again steel & aluminum is always tough. Tomorrow should be fun, web tutorials, easy out extractors, faith and luck.. If anyone considers them self the sultan of extraction, I'd love to have your input..

Quickurt 03-01-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Take my advise, soak the bolts till your sick of crawling under and then keep doing it anyway. I was 10/12 breaking the same two on each side, which leads me to believe they are the hottest. These bolts seemed extra wimpy, then again steel & aluminum is always tough. Tomorrow should be fun, web tutorials, easy out extractors, faith and luck.. If anyone considers them self the sultan of extraction, I'd love to have your input..

If they broke with heads on them, what makes you think an easy out is going to get them out? The best luck we had in machine shops is left hand drill bits. Most industrial supply houses will stock them. Be EXTREMELY careful center punching the bolts before drilling. Some poeple have had good luck using soldering guns to heat the bolt after drilling it. If you get it good and hot and then let it cool, it will crush itself inside the more solid metal, if you get the walls of the bolt drilled out thin enough.
Good luck.

eightsandaces 03-01-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
If they broke with heads on them, what makes you think an easy out is going to get them out? The best luck we had in machine shops is left hand drill bits. Most industrial supply houses will stock them. Be EXTREMELY careful center punching the bolts before drilling. Some poeple have had good luck using soldering guns to heat the bolt after drilling it. If you get it good and hot and then let it cool, it will crush itself inside the more solid metal, if you get the walls of the bolt drilled out thin enough.
Good luck.

Kurt,

"If the heads broke off what makes me think an extractor will work?"

Frankly, what other choices are there? Also, a good mechanic friend told me it's how to do it as well as another trusted source. Am I taking the job lightly? Hardly, I purchased all new drills, I'm studying as much information as I can find and then I'll execute the best I can. Besides, with material removed from the center of the bolt, it will eventually yield. Seems hitting dead center is key, I plan on using a graduated approach, punch mark, small bore hole, larger bore but not big enough to be near the threads. I also have mapp gas for heat and a metric tap and die should it come to that. I'm not intimidated by the job, yet I have a healthy respect for the fact that it's a more difficult endeavor than it first appears.

stephen wilson 03-03-2010 08:11 AM

If the threads get totally buggered, you could still install Heli-coils.

eightsandaces 03-03-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson
If the threads get totally buggered, you could still install Heli-coils.

Haha see other thread, god I don't mean to sound like Ned Negative but to be effed over by fasteners is the most vexing irritant known to man. There is a lot of pressure on a manifold, hope the helio holds. Thing is the lower splined nuts on the cat convertor are the ones causing major problems at the moment. First time ever using mapp gas, not impressed one bit..

stephen wilson 03-03-2010 12:53 PM

As long as their installed properly, and there's enough "meat" to drill the hole over-size, thread inserts will be stronger than the original Aluminum threads.

swrd911 03-04-2010 05:05 PM

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page441.htm

Johnny Danger 03-04-2010 09:49 PM

Along with its close cousin the Cayman, there are a vast number of exhaust systems for the 987 being produced. Unfortunately, most of the highly regarded "tuners" have departed the 986 platform, and have shifted their focus mainly on the 987. It may be worth your while to check out the Planet-9.com website. There you will find an almost limitless number of posts on the topic.