986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   boxster just died today ?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23851)

bad57chevy 02-28-2010 02:42 PM

boxster just died today ??

driving down the road today in my 99 bosxter and engine just died got towed home still wont start just cranks i dont hear the fuel pump anymore hopeing someone might of had a few ideas ? thanks for any input car has 128,000 but has always ran like i top

gschotland 02-28-2010 04:06 PM

My first thought would be the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter, particularly given your mileage. For about $25-$30 I'd give the filter a try. If you don't know when it was last done (if ever), you probably need it anyway even if it doesn't solve your problem. A fuel pump's around $250. :(

Let us know what happens.

pboxstercar 03-01-2010 04:36 AM

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

root_werks 03-01-2010 09:25 AM

Check the fuse and relays (fuel pump/Injectors etc.) If your Box just "died", it's most likely something along the lines of supply failure.

bad57chevy 03-03-2010 11:21 AM

thanks for the info i have found that the problem is i have no power to the fuel pump i have checked the fuse ,fuel relay and even the relay in the trunk all seem to be good any ideas why i would have no power to the fuel pump? thanks for any info

ARModen 03-04-2010 11:42 AM

I'm not sure, based on your information, where exactly you are checking, and more importantly when you are checking. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the DME and provides power to the fuel pump. Unlike other cars the DME on turns the fuel pump relay on when the car is cranking or running. If you just put the key in the "on"position, the fuel pump doesn't get power. Disconnect the cable at the fuel pump (under the battery tray). Hook up a light or a voltmeter to the bigger tabs on either side of the connector and crank the engine. If you have voltage there when you're cranking then it's not the relay or DME signal.

If you don't have power there then you should pull the pump relay out and test that. 12V applied to the 2 small prongs should result in a click sound.

There are 2 different power supplies that you have to consider here. There is power from the electrical distribution system that goes through the fuse, the relay and to the pump to power it. The second power supply comes from the DME to turn the relay on and off.

If the relay is working, and there are no blown fuses, and you're not getting power to the pump when the car is cranking, then it's an issue with the DME. In that case you're going to need to take it to a shop or someone with diagnostic gear. One possible problem is that you have a fault in your alarm module that would tell the DME that the car is being stolen, in which case the DME will turn off the fuel pump.

root_werks 03-04-2010 11:49 AM

In the back trunk (so cool that we have two trunks!), pull out the fuel pump relay. I cannot recall which terminals they are, but you can "jump" two of them and listen for the pump. At that same point, I guess you could also check to make sure power is being supplied to the relay.

ARModen 03-04-2010 11:57 AM

The fuel pump relay is in the front I'm 90% sure. It's number 14? maybe. It's right behind the double relay for the roof operation. Behind being to the left of the double relay if you're looking straight at the panel.

Anim 03-04-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pboxstercar

His car has died yet you kick him while he is down. shame on you!

yimmy149 03-04-2010 12:59 PM

Any chance this is the ignition switch? Maybe sending conflicting signals to the DME...

root_werks 03-04-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARModen
The fuel pump relay is in the front I'm 90% sure. It's number 14? maybe. It's right behind the double relay for the roof operation. Behind being to the left of the double relay if you're looking straight at the panel.

I'm scratching my head now....can't remember. Need to check my book at home.

ARModen 03-04-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
Any chance this is the ignition switch? Maybe sending conflicting signals to the DME...

Certainly could be. Long list of things that it could be right now.