Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

ADVISE needed..

i drove a 2009 boxster s last week... loved it.
i told the salesman that i still have 10 months on my car (BMW Z4M), and that i would be looking in the fall. right off the bat he offers me 10K off the boxster i just drove... a 2009 boxster S stickered at 65K. he has call twice now to see if i am interested in that car.... i am considering telling him that i would consider my car (KBB @ 22K wholesale) plus 28K.. so a total of 50K. they are obviously desperate to move the car. so, am i being unreasonable, or do i have a shot?

A

AtoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #2

Even if you are low, as long as you are polite and sincere in your negotiation, so what? They'll let you know if they think you're too low... I will say this, IMO, a clean deal would give you more consideration.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

The offer you're considering isn't way off. I bought my LE in Jan 08, so the economy was starting to head south but wasn't totally in the crapper. The sticker on mine was $66K and I offered $58K. I didn't figure they'd deal much since this one was #5 of 250. Twenty min later we agreed on a trade-in for my 01S and were shaking hands at $58K. So it's not surprising they could immediately come down $10K. Since you're realistic with your trade-in value, they may bite at the $50K offer thinking they may be able to make some of their bucks back by turning your Z4.

What's the worst that can happen? They say No? If they do, let them sit. Chances are they'll come around.

Good luck.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #4

well, i'm gonna give it a whirl tomorrow. i have been straight with the guy so far, and he knows i was looking 8-10 months down the road. funny, he asked to test drive my M... he's a BMW guy and is dying to get one... i wouldn't be surprised if he scoops my M.
AtoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

As an ex-New car salesmanager, hopefully I can add a few tips.
1.) Never trade your car in. A big no no as you can save yourself $5000 on average most of the time quite a bit more. Dealers do want and need your car, as they make more on used cars than new, so if you can't sell it you can always trade, but please use that as a last resort. Yours would probably take under a week, as late model BMWs are very desirable.
2.) Be nice, you know honey catches more flies than vinegar!!
3.) Bring competition into the equation. Definately shop around!! Albeit the internet or local dealers(if you have more than 1). Tell the Porsche dealer in the nicest way possible that you have a better offer but would like to give him the opportunity to earn your business.

The nicer you are the farther you'll get. We always hated the Jackasses and made every attempt to knock them down a few pegs.

By all means try to sell your car outright. You have a BMW, not a 'K" car or ford focus. It is a desirable car. Easiest way to sell a car outright.
1.) Establish a price. You know what you were willing to "give" It to the dealer for, so that is your lowest price, now do some searches on the net and in your local papers, to see what the highest is. The amount in between is your comfort zone.
2.) Find the Closest, biggest cities newspaper. Mine would be Columbus Ohio. You get the biggest bang for the buck in your ADV Dollar that way. Ebay Sucks for sellers and there are too many dealers in the trader magazines.
3.) Don't ever give away your home adress or phone number. After talking with them, meet them in a very public place, preferably a bank parking lot or near the a police station. (just being cautiously smart).

Good luck, and please don't take this as preaching. I have been in the car bus for more than a decade and just would like to share my experience with a fellow (potential) Porsche owner

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote