Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Floor jack questions

I know it's been discussed a thouthand times and I did a search... but I have few questions that I couldn't find answer for:

I'm looking for a floor jack for my 2k Boxster which will not break the bank (preferably under 100$)

I considered several ones:
Craftsman 2-1/2 Ton Floor Jack, Low Profile
Torin T815005L 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack
OTC1500A - OTC Stinger 3-Ton Jack Pack

However they all go either from 5'5 to 18 inches or from 3 to 14 inches

Here are the questions:
1. Is 14 inches max height enough? it seems that at that height I'll barely fit under the car
2. Is 1.5 tons enough, I know the car is under 3k Lbs but I'm afraid that if I get 3000Lbs jack it would fail faster
3. Any good tips on floor jacks? Is it important to have it light weight? I won't take it out of my garage ever and I want to be able to lift the car from back and put 2 jack stands at once without going on ramps, lifting, etc...

Thanks
Sasha

PS: Question for forum admins.. I see threads flat with last post of first page.. which kinda in reverse from any other forum, is there a way to see (non threaded) first (oldest) posts on first page? It's a little annoying when searching for old posts because I have to go to last page and read backwards.

Last edited by sasha055; 02-25-2010 at 11:34 AM.
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #2

There's a thread on this if you want to find more info on it. Search on "race jack" and it should come up.

I bought a Torin aluminum race jack from Pep Boys and it works great! Here's a link to it on Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313500_200313500

It raises the entire side of the boxster up so high that I can slide a jack stand under the unsupported side and drop it and do the same thing with the other side. It also slides right under the back of the car and can be used for the center jacking point in the back between the muffler and the motor.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #3

This one's pretty good and better price...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96562

I have one myself.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon

I have this one and I like it. However, I find you still need to have a mini jack to raise one rear corner for easy access to the center jacking point from the rear.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

How do they lower?

The project I'm getting it for (the first one) will be Front engine mount change to Pedro's Enthusiast one.
The question is: How slow do they lower?

One thing I'm afraid of (per Pedro's DIY instructions) is that when I'll be lowering the engine (in one of steps you have to lower it 2-3 inches) Jack will just collapse down together with the engine

Thanks
Sasha
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
The project I'm getting it for (the first one) will be Front engine mount change to Pedro's Enthusiast one.

One thing I'm afraid of (per Pedro's DIY instructions) is that when I'll be lowering the engine (in one of steps you have to lower it 2-3 inches) Jack will just collapse down together with the engine

Thanks
Sasha

The jack will work fine for that job, you just have to let it down by carefully letting off on the release. If you have a scissor jack, use that under the engine, that way you will have infinite adjustment and you can judge where to stop for bolt access and removal. Have fun, that job requires patience if you're doing it on your back..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

jack for motor mount replacement

I would recommend using a scissor jack to support the motor during the motor mount replacement. When I did this job, i was laying under the car while trying to raise and lower the motor in small amounts in order to move the mount around. It was much easier to just reach over and turn the handle on the scissor jack than it would have been to work with the hydraulic jacks that i own.
I used the scissor jack that came in the tire change kit from one of my "other" cars.

Tommy
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #8

It's recommended that you use a ...

Quote:

Thanks
Sasha

... scissors jack under the engine.
It's safer and easier to control the height.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
PS: Question for forum admins.. I see threads flat with last post of first page.. which kinda in reverse from any other forum, is there a way to see (non threaded) first (oldest) posts on first page? It's a little annoying when searching for old posts because I have to go to last page and read backwards.
I was too embarrassed to ask this question, so, thanks Sasha for asking it for me.
I was surprised it's not addressed under "Display Mode."

Anybody got an answer?
headdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by headdead
I was too embarrassed to ask this question, so, thanks Sasha for asking it for me.
I was surprised it's not addressed under "Display Mode."

Anybody got an answer?
Quick Link -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options -> Linear Newest First / Oldest First
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #11

Above the top post, to the right is a tab called "Display Modes". If you select Hybrid, it will sort like you are looking for.
gsrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #12

Hybrid mode is different, it will show flat view for only selected part of thread, it's very confusing since you have to select a different part of thread to view next part of replies.

A sort for flat view (oldest first) would be nice

Sasha
Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #13

This is the jack you need

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Products/Product_Categories_Description.aspx?ID=271&Tag=/F-2533/2 1/2 Ton Speedy Lift SUV/Truck/Pro-Lift/Speedy Lift Jacks

It's 66$+shipping..

it's very nice to use and it can jack very high!
it was perfect for my 986

You can call/email them and give them your credit card they will ship it to you.. great sercie

If you want to break the bank.. this one is supersweet!! but more expensive

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Products/Product_Categories_Description.aspx?ID=730&Tag=/F-777/2 Ton Speedy Lift® Low Profile/Pro-Lift/Floor Jacks

This company used to build the jack rebranded 'michelin'

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote