Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

Broke 997 shifter part

Yesterday I finally got around to installing a 997 shifter (not the short-shifter) in my 2001 986 S, and I had some trouble getting all the gears when checking it. SO much trouble, that I broke a part, and I am wondering if it is critical.

For those familiar with the shifter cable end connectors, there is a blue one on the left, and a black one on the right. Each of these spring-loaded connectors have little 1-inch legs positioned alongside the spring. It is the black one's leg that I broke off.

Anyone know what the purpose of this leg is, and whether I am good-to-go without it, or whether I have to try and replace it?

The shifter works fine, too early to say how ultimately happy I will be with it, but the 2--3 upshift is definitely more positive, and I am very pleased with that.

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

I think those extensions assist the connector and the cable from flexing down and jamming it into the bottom of the assembly when you shift into 1, 3 or the 5th gear.
Attached Images

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

I really think those legs are to hold the part during factory assembly. I think they are to hold the fitting at the proper angle to snap it onto the ball end of the shifter shaft. They are more than likely fixturing "lugs".
I guess it is possible that they keep the fitting from flexing down, but the are not really on the bottom and I don't see how the cable could flex at that point.

It's not like a malfuction will effect the brakes or anything that could cause an accident, so I would go with it and see if there is any adverse effect. I really doubt there will be. If I were road racing the car, I wouldn't risk it, but for street use, I wouldn't worry, too much.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

when I replaced my shifter, I took off a raised light green mystery plate underneath the same shifter cable. what is that for? i left it out because I was concern it would also interfere with shifter cable. Do I need to put it back?
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecc
when I replaced my shifter, I took off a raised light green mystery plate underneath the same shifter cable. what is that for? i left it out because I was concern it would also interfere with shifter cable. Do I need to put it back?
No, you don't.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #6

Thanks for your input, guys. Unless someone has something else to say that convinces me otherwise, I think I am good to go.

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote