986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   bought from a little old lady (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23734)

lowmiler 02-19-2010 04:56 PM

bought from a little old lady

I bought a 1999 boxster from a little old lady. Very spur of the moment purchase. They were downsizing and she can't drive it anymore. It has been very gently used with only 42,000 miles on it. Clean car fax (if that even means anything). I'm not sure if I will keep it but considering the low mileage and who owned it I could'nt pass it up. The top is in perfect condition but was rarely put up so there is a crease and some cracks in the back window. It will need to be replaced. The oil has been changed once a year. The brake fluid was flushed and replaced in 2004 at 20,000 miles. They also put on a new set of tires. Is there anything that I need to do to the car maintenance wise? Btw, I love the way this car drives. I can see why people love them so much. Thanks in advance for any help.

Scbrindley 02-19-2010 08:27 PM

Congrats on the purchase and welcome. Now, lets see some pictures of your new car!

SB

97 Boxster 02-19-2010 08:40 PM

Congrats on the new ride. I just replaced my top with a glass window top and its definately a must if your going to keep the Box. Lets see some pics

fatmike 02-20-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmiler
I bought a 1999 boxster from a little old lady.

Wow, you fell for the oldest scam in the books... Nice little old lady selling a "lightly used" Porsche...

(just kidding)

You can't easily replace just the plastic rear window (you can try, but its a serious effort). Instead, most folks opt for a new top from a 3rd party manufacturer. GAHH makes a great product. If you go that route, get the acoustic material.

You can also try to polish the rear window. There are some specialty products that can help soften and clear the rear window. They work OK, but not really good enough if the top is creased and yellow.

Unfortunately, brake fluid from 2004 is well past its expected life (more like 3 years). Suggest you flush that.

While your at it, replace the oil and filter (once a year? So it was changed 12 months ago?). Also replace the oil filter, engine air filter and cabin filter. The cabin filter is a do-it yourself job its located in the front trunk.

Quickurt 02-20-2010 05:38 AM

Hah! Congrats on the car, I came on the thread thinking it was going to be a new joke!!
If you replace the top. I'd consider the extra to upgrade to a glass window, if you're going to keep the car. Even if you're going to sell it, it should be worth the extra as it will definitely add value. There are threads on the forum (do a search) for uprading. I believe you will have to replace the framework through a dismantler, but you may be able to get a good price on the whole thing (top and frame).

Lil bastard 02-20-2010 06:09 AM

Congrats!

You have a lot of work to do.

Brake/clutch fluid flush and bleed - every two years!

Serpentine belt replacement - five year max!

Plugs - 45k mi.

Air filter (likely)

Coolant flush/fill 5yr./150k mi.

Battery - 5 year max.

Tires - 5 year max.

All these items have both a time and mileage service interval. This car is waaay past many of them.

Cheers!

lowmiler 02-20-2010 09:03 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm getting her detailed on tuesday so pics will be coming after that. I have been doing alot of reading here about the diy rear plastic window replacement. I will most likely go that route. The top looks brand new so i can't see replacing the whole thing even if it gets me the glass window. Can and indy do the brake fluid or is it dealer only? I'm afraid of what that is going to cost. I also know someone who has 19" carrera wheels and tires for sale. Might pick those up.

Lil bastard 02-20-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm getting her detailed on tuesday so pics will be coming after that. I have been doing alot of reading here about the diy rear plastic window replacement. I will most likely go that route. The top looks brand new so i can't see replacing the whole thing even if it gets me the glass window. Can and indy do the brake fluid or is it dealer only? I'm afraid of what that is going to cost. I also know someone who has 19" carrera wheels and tires for sale. Might pick those up.

19's look stupid on a Boxster (my $0.02), ride quality suffers, tires cost more.

Brake fluid/flush is straight up - can do yourself and save some money to replace those dried out tires. Get a power bleeder from Bavauto and 2 Ltr. ATE Blue fluid.

Plastic window is doable, but probably a 7:10. If you haven't done this type of work before, have an auto upholsterer do it.

Cheers!

RandallNeighbour 02-20-2010 10:32 AM

I gotta agree with LB about the 19's concerning ride quality and tire cost. 18's look great and give you LOTS more choice in tires at lower prices and keep the ride better.

Plus, Carrera 19's have an offset that require really large spacers... which translates into accentuated vibrations when your wheels are out of balance and they just might prematurely wear out your wheel bearings.

Welcome to our never-ending world of boxster mods, repairs, and maintenance!

lowmiler 02-20-2010 10:41 AM

I've flushed and replaced brake fluid before but not on a car with abs. Will that be a factor?

What about these wheels? They are the kind I am looking at.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22820

Lil bastard 02-20-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

I've flushed and replaced brake fluid before but not on a car with abs. Will that be a factor?

ABS will not be a factor at all. The Boxster does have multiple chambers/bleeder valves in the calipers. Bleed inside valve first, outside last. You may get an ABS light on initial startup, but if properly bled, this will go out once the system pressurizes.

Obviously start with P-side rear and work you way to D-side front.

Definitely recommend power bleeder though. The pump-the-pedal method is a sure way to blow the master cylinder on an 11 y.o. car. Also, since the clutch and brakes share the same fluid reservoir, be sure to bleed the clutch slave cylinder too so you don't contaminate the new fluid.

As far as new wheels, what's on it now? Wheels/tires are a spendy pkg. and my recommendation would be to wait until you're sure the car is well sorted before blowing that $$ on nonessential stuff. No point in being the best looking car stuck in the driveway.

Cheers!

Cheers!

lowmiler 02-20-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
ABS will not be a factor at all. The Boxster does have multiple chambers/bleeder valves in the calipers. Bleed inside valve first, outside last. You may get an ABS light on initial startup, but if properly bled, this will go out once the system pressurizes.

Obviously start with P-side rear and work you way to D-side front.

Definitely recommend power bleeder though. The pump-the-pedal method is a sure way to blow the master cylinder on an 11 y.o. car. Also, since the clutch and brakes share the same fluid reservoir, be sure to bleed the clutch slave cylinder too so you don't contaminate the new fluid.

As far as new wheels, what's on it now? Wheels/tires are a spendy pkg. and my recommendation would be to wait until you're sure the car is well sorted before blowing that $$ on nonessential stuff. No point in being the best looking car stuck in the driveway.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I will get the power bleeder for sure. Right now it has the chrome 17" factory wheels. They look great. $600 for the other ones seems like a good deal, buy I will wait though and take care of the important stuff first.

gschotland 02-20-2010 09:50 PM

Definitely invest $62.97 (incl. shipping) in a Bentley shop manual. It'll pay for itself on your first project. Best money you'll ever spend on your Box.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=spoffers&do=amazon

super66 02-21-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

I don't like those rims at all but thats just me....your car would look great with 19's....like mine.....

I will say my winter wheels are 18's and I originally had 18's for the summer...the ride isn't very different to me at all....I love the 19's...but there is obvious truth that they are more to replace...

husker boxster 02-21-2010 11:17 AM

I like the lobster claws. I currently have my snows on (Cayman 18s), but my original wheels are 19s. If you like the lobster claws, go with them. Just be sure the offsets are correct before you buy them (search on offset for more info).

Here's my car with the lobster's on:

http://i47.tinypic.com/30rxurs.jpg

CaptainObvious 02-21-2010 11:28 AM

I drove a car with 18" lobster forks and 19" lobster forks. I prefer the feedback from the 19s when cornering.

jcb986 02-21-2010 03:45 PM

Yeah, my back window cracked after a week of freezing weather here in Florida. Like you, my top is in near perfect condition. I priced a auto top shop and he has done 4 Boxster tops recently with bad back windows...$450. Porsche wanted $1600 for the same job. :cool:

vipola 02-22-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
I drove a car with 18" lobster forks and 19" lobster forks. I prefer the feedback from the 19s when cornering.

There is 18inch lobseter for the boxster?!?!? I tought it was only offered in 19..

lowmiler 02-22-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster
I like the lobster claws. I currently have my snows on (Cayman 18s), but my original wheels are 19s. If you like the lobster claws, go with them. Just be sure the offsets are correct before you buy them (search on offset for more info).

Here's my car with the lobster's on:

http://i47.tinypic.com/30rxurs.jpg

So I researched offset for the Carrera lobster claws. Found a car on this site with them. et57 for the front and et46 for the back. Wheel size is 19x8 front and 19x9.5 back. Are the ones that came factory for the boxster different? BTW, I love your car! Did you paint the wheels black or did the come that way?

Mark_T 02-22-2010 10:22 AM

Congrats on your great deal! Here's a couple of differing opinions for you (the great thing about forums!):

Firstly, the brake fluid. The reason for changing brake fluid is that it is a hygroscopic fluid (absorbs water over time) and this will of course affect the efficiency of the brakes. (so far we probably all agree). BUT, as the fluid absorbs water it gets darker in color, so if your fluid is still completely clear then you don't need to flush it, regardless of how long it may have been in there. (the part we likely don't all agree on, but I think changing things that are still good just because the service manual says so is a crock) If the fluid is starting to darken then, by all means, change it.

Secondly, the top. I just don't get why everyone is so hot to get the glass window "upgrade". It is smaller than the plastic window (less rear visiblilty), more expensive, and I really, really hate the orange defroster lines. I don't think that just replacing the window is a good idea - looks like crap no matter how well it is done. Replace the whole top with a good quality one. If you do have your heart set on the glass window you can buy a glass window top upgrade that will fit your existing frame.

I got my replacement top (plastic window) for my '99 from Prestige out of England for about 2/3 the price of GAHH and I am very happy with the fit and quality. Prestige is one of the few that can "weld" in the plastic window, unlike many aftermarket suppliers who just stich it in. You can do the replacement yourself if you are careful and slightly mechanicall inclined.

Good luck with your project!

Mark