Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Anyone ever paint faded B-Pillar?

Hey Guys,

I'm updating some of the texas sun bleached black plastic exterior parts on my '02. These parts include the wiper cowl panel, the from bumper trim and the exterior B-Pillar trim, the folding convertible top frame that the seals the upper portion of the door windows to the soft top.

The cowl panel is pretty cheap at $47 bucks which I think it totally worth it and is nice visual improvement. But the B-Pillar trim is only the back half of the arm of the folding top frame and those run anywhere from $550-$800 for each side. I can't rationalize that cost so I'm considering painting them. Plus I think it'll be a ******************** to install new ones. Has anyone ever painted theirs themselves and if so what type of paint would you recommend using that not just going to peal off in six months?

Thanks

Tim

:troll: D O O M

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Hey Tim,

I've never painted them however I do use this stuff call "Back to Black" it really works magic. My car will be on the road for 10 years in september and this stuff makes all the plastic look brand new.

You should give it a shot before you paint anything. I'm pretty meticulous about everything on all my cars and back to black keeps me happy

James D.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
Hey Guys,

I'm updating some of the texas sun bleached black plastic exterior parts on my '02. These parts include the wiper cowl panel, the from bumper trim and the exterior B-Pillar trim, the folding convertible top frame that the seals the upper portion of the door windows to the soft top.

The cowl panel is pretty cheap at $47 bucks which I think it totally worth it and is nice visual improvement. But the B-Pillar trim is only the back half of the arm of the folding top frame and those run anywhere from $550-$800 for each side. I can't rationalize that cost so I'm considering painting them. Plus I think it'll be a ******************** to install new ones. Has anyone ever painted theirs themselves and if so what type of paint would you recommend using that not just going to peal off in six months?

Thanks

Tim

:troll: D O O M
Consider dye instead of paint. Won't flake or peel.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

I was able to bring some of the blackness back my just applying 303 protectant to some parts of the car. If that's not enough, vinyl dye should help.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #5

yeah i've tried the bac to black but it didn't work too well for me. never even knew about vinyl dye. did some research after your suggestions and I'm sold. Thanks guys :dance:
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 02-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #6

I'll take some before and after photos when I paint them
Old 02-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

There's a product called Forever Black that would probably be perfect for you.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #8

Just ordered the Forever Black bumper and trim product. Compared to vinyl sprays this seems much more effective with less mess. Here's a good article :dance:
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Hey Tim,

I've never painted them however I do use this stuff call "Back to Black" it really works magic. My car will be on the road for 10 years in september and this stuff makes all the plastic look brand new.

You should give it a shot before you paint anything. I'm pretty meticulous about everything on all my cars and back to black keeps me happy

James D.

I purchased some Back to Black last evening and it works great. Took the bumperettes off the rear and did those as well. All looks great today. I will report as to how long it lasts and holds up. Thanks for the advice/recommendation
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

The rubber treatments like Back to Black, Zaino tire treatment, 303, and Armor All are all just oils that can help to keep rubber and soft plastic pliable, but they don't keep them dark for too long and they don't do much for hard plastic parts because they wash off pretty fast. Forever Black is an actual dye that will last significantly longer. It will fade eventually too, but for hard plastics, dye is the best way to go.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #11

I picked an exterior paint spray from Pep boys in the auto body section. I actually used it on an old Volvo 960 but it worked pretty darn good. I used it on the windshield wiper cover and bumper trim. Then I used the forever black once the paint dried.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote