986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do I accelerate off the line? Tips? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23710)

johnnynova 02-17-2010 08:12 AM

How do I accelerate off the line? Tips?

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 99 Boxster 5 speed manual. The car looks to be in great condition, just needed new tires. I've been playing around with it and having a blast but I'm wondering how to REALLY drive this car without wrecking it. I see that gets really fun to drive around 500O RPM but I'm specifically wondering how to get off the line quick. I know these cars aren't really fast off the line but I'm wondering how to do it without burning the clutch. I've tried a few times but it seems like I pretty much have to red line it to get any real punch, and if I let the clutch out too slow, it smokes the clutch. Can I red line it and sidestep the clutch or will my tranny fall out? Any tips on how to get this car off the line quick are appreciated.

Thanks

JN

Quickurt 02-17-2010 08:41 AM

Buy a Mustang GT500 or the latest big block Corvette.........maybe a Viper?

eightsandaces 02-17-2010 09:37 AM

"but I'm wondering how to REALLY drive this car without wrecking it."

Step one is to not rag the **************** out of it from a dead start like you have a team of Zuffenhousen crackerjacks at the ready to make cost free repairs.

Adam 02-17-2010 09:47 AM

There is no exact RPM someone can tell you because of all the different variables. Tires, temp(tire and ambient), and pavement surface are just a few big factors that affect a launch. When I autocross and launch the car at the start I vary rpms depending on those factors mainly and use 2.5k-4.5k launches typically. Wheelspin = slow plus with the boxster it usually = wheel hop so try to minimize both. Don't slip the clutch too much, but don't treat it like an on/off switch either.

landrovered 02-17-2010 09:51 AM

X2

0-60 times have very little to do with driving on the street. They are published to sell cars not because it is practical or a smart thing to do too often. Remeber you bought a "roadster" not a "dragster".

The Le Mans start may be why the key is on the left in a Porsche but even when I want to put my foot in it I usually do it once I get into second gear.

Adam 02-17-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered
X2
Remeber you bought a "roadster" not a "dragster".

Very true, it's been said before but it's worth repeating. Johnnynova, if you are looking to win stoplight grand prix's or impress your friends with neck snapping acceleration you bought the wrong car. Hopefully those aren't your intentions.

Lil bastard 02-17-2010 10:45 AM

You don't use a screwdriver to remove an appendix - that's not what it was designed for...

You don't use a Boxster to win stoplight challenges or A-to-B sprints - that's not what it was designed for...

Save yourself the pain, agony, embarrassment and cash of trying to make it do what it's not designed to do...

Sell it NOW and get the 'stang, EVO, WRX of your choice and live HAPPY!

Cheers!

Boxtaboy 02-17-2010 11:05 AM

...Unless he gets the 09 Boxster S, which Road & Track clocked a PDK equipped one at 4.1 sec. from 0-60. That's like almost supercar territory. The new Boxsters are complete cars in both handling and acceleration, and are not wearing panties anymore. :D

But I agree with everyone...you don't buy a Boxster to drag race.

eightsandaces 02-17-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
You don't use a screwdriver to remove an appendix - that's not what it was designed for...

You don't use a Boxster to win stoplight challenges or A-to-B sprints - that's not what it was designed for...

Save yourself the pain, agony, embarrassment and cash of trying to make it do what it's not designed to do...

Sell it NOW and get the 'stang, EVO, WRX of your choice and live HAPPY!

Cheers!

Excellent, I would only add that straight line speed, although fun, isn't nearly as fun as a car that will make some dickhead tailing you in an on ramp, see just how stupid his decision was..

Quickurt 02-17-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Excellent, I would only add that straight line speed, although fun, isn't nearly as fun as a car that will make some dickhead tailing you in an on ramp, see just how stupid his decision was..

:D :D :D
Even more fun on our mostly 270 degree, decreasing radius off ramps!! :eek: :eek:

timothy 02-17-2010 11:49 AM

As for the second part of your question -- learning to drive the car without doing something stupid -- register for a DE or Autocross with your local PCA chapter. You will get top-notch instruction at an unbeatable price.

Just noticed you are in Texas. Where? Maverick Region (DFW) has a DE on March 6 and Autocross 101 is on March 14. http://mav.pca.org/Events/Calendar.asp

Lil bastard 02-17-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
...Unless he gets the 09 Boxster S, which Road & Track clocked a PDK equipped one at 4.1 sec. from 0-60. That's like almost supercar territory. The new Boxsters are complete cars in both handling and acceleration, and are not wearing panties anymore. :D

But I agree with everyone...you don't buy a Boxster to drag race.

Except that he's not getting anything... he already has a 2.5 '99.

If he uses it as he alludes, it's only going to make him unhappy... cars should make people happy, not unhappy.

Cheers!

Perfectlap 02-19-2010 06:46 AM

agree get PDK or go home. :)

I dunno...I enjoy a good laying of rubber after paying a toll. I Just love when I can get around the fast lane slow pokes while they're still sputtering, or worse soccer moms in stupid SUV's doing parallels three abreast. drives me nuts.

Quickurt 02-19-2010 06:48 AM

Anyone else notice johnnynova did one post and left??

bmcuscgr94 02-19-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
Anyone else notice johnnynova did one post and left??

Maybe he's at the dealer trying to trade for the Mustang :D

landrovered 02-19-2010 08:34 AM

Golf clap if that is the case.

Lil bastard 02-19-2010 09:50 AM

Provocateur...!

Cheers!

Boxtaboy 02-19-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Except that he's not getting anything... he already has a 2.5 '99.

If he uses it as he alludes, it's only going to make him unhappy... cars should make people happy, not unhappy.

Cheers!

Agree. The point of my post was to illustrate that unlike Boxsters of the past which were great in the handling dept, but lacking in the acceleration front, the new ones are no slouches anymore. They are complete cars that can hold their own even in stoplight contests (not that that's a smart thing to do). I only wish they made them like this when I got mine. :D

Johnny Danger 02-21-2010 07:14 AM

"Johnny Nova" ! "Who's Johnny Nova" ? "I don't know any Johnny Nova" ! "We don't need another stinking Johnny here " ! "We already have one " ! :cool:

coolbreeze551 05-19-2010 11:44 PM

You tell 'em Johnny!!