986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   source of constant dead battery revealed (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23708)

jhandy 02-17-2010 07:42 AM

source of constant dead battery revealed

Just as a FYI to all those out there that have the same problem....

My battery would die after sitting just a few days. I used a multi meter and could not find the problem until i walked into the garage at night.

The issue was the switch on the front truck latch. It was stuck open and the front trunk light would stay on all the time. I did not notice this because I would have to open the front to test the battery with the multimeter. It was not until I saw it in full darkness that I noticed the light on with the trunk closed.

Anyway, a few blasts with electrical cleaner spray and no more battery drain.

just throwing it out there as a possiable problem.

jmatta 02-17-2010 07:48 AM

Funny how the little things can always get you...

Quickurt 02-17-2010 08:35 AM

How did you see the light was on with the frunk closed??

70Sixter 02-17-2010 08:37 AM

Darkness can be your friend.

My 914 had a similar battery drain which I could not find with a meter. Finally noticed very faint glow in one license plate light at nite in garage. Replaced the bulb holder, no more problem.

My 911 had a miss in the engine at all speeds. Blue light at night lead me right to the short at the distributor cap!

jhandy 02-17-2010 08:49 AM

Quickurt
I could just barley see it in the front left corner in complete darkness. the rubber was worn, otherwise it would not have shown.

kabel 02-17-2010 11:57 AM

strange, I thought the light shut off automatically after a couple hours even if the trunk or frunk was open...

yimmy149 02-17-2010 12:32 PM

My '01 S does shut off front and rear, I have left them open all night for charging or packing for a trip. Takes about 3 hours though. Maybe his switch would pulse on and off a little and trick the car into turning lights back on after the timeout.

-james

chaudanova 02-17-2010 12:53 PM

can you post a picture of the actual switch? Mine seems to have an intermittent issue with turning on..

Thanks!

jhandy 02-17-2010 01:11 PM

The switch is deep inside the latch. Hard to see. Just shoot a bunch of contact cleaner (i used MAF cleaner) into the latch.
Attached is a pic of the latch and switch.

Incidently i have noticed that when I turn on the alarm, it would occasionally beep. everything was closed. light on dash was not on. I figured it was the glove box.

My light would work some times and not others. Now works all the time, and the battery stays charged.

ChrisZang 02-17-2010 02:30 PM

let me have a look tonight, my (new) battery is also drained after 2 ~ 3 days ...

Quickurt 02-17-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhandy
Quickurt
I could just barley see it in the front left corner in complete darkness. the rubber was worn, otherwise it would not have shown.

That was my point. I would think if light can leak out........water can leak in?
I try my best to not drive mine in the rain, but wifey and I do take trips, so it's not always my choice. I would hate to have my laptop soaked when I got home......

ChrisZang 02-17-2010 03:45 PM

shouldn't be so hard to check:
Just attach two thin wires to the contacts for the light bulb and lead them outside the trunk and then close it...

Quickurt 02-17-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
shouldn't be so hard to check:
Just attach two thin wires to the contacts for the light bulb and lead them outside the trunk and then close it...

Or close a small friend/family member inside to see...... :D

ChrisZang 02-17-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt

yes, that was plan B :D
Fortunately Plan A worked and - nope that wasn't it :( still chasing the leak ...

vipola 02-22-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt

LOL =)

jhandy 02-22-2010 08:25 AM

the easiest thing to do is to unplug the swith altogether. The electronic latch will still work. If your light does not go on as it should the the switch is bad. I may be like mine that was shorting the battery.

In any case, it takes a sec, pull back the carpet around the latch, reach in and unplug.

james

pbanders 02-23-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
strange, I thought the light shut off automatically after a couple hours even if the trunk or frunk was open...

That's what it does on my '03. Recently verified as I was charging the battery in-car and had the front trunk open.