986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Sultan of Michigan... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23697)

Lil bastard 02-16-2010 08:55 AM

The Sultan of Michigan...

I just got an email from an old friend in Michigan I hadn't heard from in a while. He caught me up with what's doin' with him, and then wrote:

"...Never mind here it is - Sultan of Michigan
You will pull up a video someone took. It is one man's collection downstate from me. I got an invitation to attend his garage March 17th. I can take five guests. If you would like to see a hell of a collection let me know..."

- the collection of a very secretive private collector known in auto circles as the 'The Sultan of Michigan', so-named because his collection is said to rival those of some more well-known arabian sheiks and princes.

Obviously, I'm trying to clear my calendar so that I can fly in, even if just for a day.

If you've never heard of this guy or his collection, here is an article about the guy - Sultan of Michigan , be sure to view the small video of just part of the collection.

I think his email made my week!

Cheers!

landrovered 02-16-2010 09:11 AM

Wow!

Now we know where one of those "phone bidders" at Barret Jackson is.

Incredible collection.

ehanauer 02-16-2010 09:34 AM

The video is unwatchable. Take a dramamine.

Quickurt 02-16-2010 09:48 AM

Incredible!! I sent the link out in an email to all my car/race buds!

Thank you.

Lil bastard 02-16-2010 10:18 AM

I couldn't even afford all those battery tenders he's got scattered all over the place, let alone the cars...

Did you notice he even has a Boxster tucked away there in 'Porsche Corner', right behind the 959?

Cheers!

urban_legend 02-16-2010 04:30 PM

world's best cars...

and world's worst photography. Must of had a hidden camera in his briefcase.
Not sure how he keeps it a secret in MI - not that many people here are rolling in that way anymore.

Lil bastard 02-16-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban_legend
and world's worst photography. Must of had a hidden camera in his briefcase.
Not sure how he keeps it a secret in MI - not that many people here are rolling in that way anymore.

You know, you may well be correct. Lots of guys keep these mega collection locations a secret, maybe an insurance requirement.

More than a decade ago I visited Richard Sloan's collection and I had to call him at a pre-arranged spot in town and he drove me out to his warehouse - totally obscured from the road, no signage, etc. looked like any farm outbuilding.

Cheers!

Stroked & Blown 02-17-2010 05:10 AM

Rumor is that this is Ken Lingenfelter's collection. "Distant Relative" to John Lingenfelter who bought LPE after John died.

23109VC 02-17-2010 05:58 AM

all I can say is .... wow. that video made my morning.

to own/acquire all of those cars requires an unbelievable amount of disposable income...and then to store, maintain, keep sparkling clean all those cars...would likely require a full time staff!

Porsche content at 5:35 for those of you who watch thevideo...

can you imagine what hsi house looks like?

if he is truly a"sultan" I wonder what his *harem* looks like... :) If it is as extensive and as amazing as his garage, he would make Tiger Woods look like an amateur! :D