Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Technical Questions of Stereo Install

My installer is running into a few problems with my stereo install. Here are the details:

Replacing the Bose CDR24 unit with a Kenwood DNX8120 and an Alpine PDX-5 amp using the stock Bose speakers. He is using the 2 Din Installation Kit for Bose on Ebay for the installation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PORSCHE-987-CAYMAN-CUSTOM-2-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT-BOSE_W0QQitemZ220537531335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item33590fabc7

Speaker Questions: If I understand the speakers in the car properly, there are two front left tweeters (one on the dash and one on the door) and one left bass speaker in the door, with the mirror config for the right channel. Is there a separate Subwoofer?

My installer has hooked up the two front left tweeters to the left front channel, the two front right tweeters to the front right channel, and the right and left door bass speakers together into the subwoofer channel.

This does not seem to be the proper configuration to me. That would cause the left and right bass speakers to work in mono at the Subwoofer frequencies, instead of running in stereo. It seems to me that the three left front drivers should all be to one channel and the three right drivers should be to the right channel.

Does anyone know which is correct?

There are wires from a subwoofer (orange positive and orange/brown negative) that match the diagram from the Ebay 2 Din Kit; however, my installer is telling me that they do not connect to a speaker. That also does not seem correct to me. If there is a subwoofer in the Bose CDR24 system, does anyone know where it is located?

Left Rear Channel Problem: The left Rear Speaker does not work. Apparently, wires to the rear left channel should be white for positive and white/brown for negative. The negative (white/brown) wire from the diagram does not exist in the wire harness. It was not connected to the original Bose amp harness either. It is possible that the rear left channel was never working. I never tested it individually in the stock installation. Has anyone run into this problem? Is it possible that the original installation was faulty and the left rear speaker was never functioning?

Is it worth running another wire for the stock rear speakers. I'm tempted to complete the system without using the rear speakers. Any thoughts?

Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.

greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote