Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Help me pick a license plate.....

My list so far....my father restores 356's so I have some influence there. I love 917 race cars and all Porsche history in general.

NVS4917
NVOF917
917ENVY
IDLZ917
917GOAT
356BORN
356RL8D
550LGND
MDRN550
16X24LM
NTXIK8N

mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #2

The search is over ...
986-4UM
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Lemans or how it is pronounced - Lemaugh
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #4

I'd like to go with vanity plates on my '99, but have been cautioned against it.

Aside from the voluntary tax angle, a friend of mine is the 15 yr. head of the GTA Div. of a major metropolitan PD. He has told me that he sees a statistically significant increase in theft and vandalism in sports and luxury cars with vanity plates than their standard-plated siblings.

He attributes this to two things: Higher visibility and a raised 'Envy Quotient', especially in the minds of vandals. He cautions that unless the car is a limited use 'fun' car which isn't often parked in the open, installing vanity plates is often an invitation to bad things.

Just passing along a little wisdom from someone on the 'front lines' for what it's worth.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That is nice advice from your friend, and I'm sure there's some validity to that. That being said, I've had a personal plate on my car for over 8 yrs, and knock on wood, never any problems. I park everyday at my office parking garage during the week and regularly park at shopping centers on weekends. I think if someone has decided to steal or do something to your car, it will happen regardless of what plate you have on the vehicle at the time. It won't stop me from doing what I want with my car cause life is too short. So, I say get what you want.

How bout 'LIL BSTD'?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #6

I agree with Boxtaboy. I have had the same vanity plate for... 22 years (wow I'm old). I had the same plate on junk cars through college and kept moving it to better cars as time progressed. It's always been on my DD. Vandels and thieves will focus on nicer cars whether they have custom plates or not.

My biggest complaint is that Ohio charges a premium every year. They only had to stamp the plate out once. Actually I'm on my third plate - they've changed colors and backgrounds.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #7

Interesting stat from LB, but I'm willing to bet a much larger percentage of highline cars have vanity tags than "normal" cars.
I refuse to voluntarily pay more taxes than I have to. If they weren't taking our money and screwing us with it, it would be a different story.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Interesting stat from LB, but I'm willing to bet a much larger percentage of highline cars have vanity tags than "normal" cars.
I refuse to voluntarily pay more taxes than I have to. If they weren't taking our money and screwing us with it, it would be a different story.
+1 Even with expertly gathered statistics it can be tough to differentiate the cause from a coinciding effect. Are more cars with vanity plates vanilized because of the plates or is it that cars that are more likely to be vandilized are also more likely to have have vanity plates? If you've read Freakonomoics, it goes into some good examples of this kind of thing.

Personally, if I put myself into the mindset of a self-hating moron who'd have the lack of charactor to willfully damage someone elses property, I think I'd be more likely to go after a car with a "better than you" vanity plate than one without, but that's just a gut feel.

Last edited by blue2000s; 01-23-2010 at 05:59 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s

Personally, if I put myself into the mindset of a self-hating moron who'd have the lack of charactor to willfully damage someone elses property, I think I'd be more likely to go after a car with a "better than you" vanity plate than one without, but that's just a gut feel.
Very true, very true.
Vandalism is probably very near theft as far as losses go and vandals are mostly those caught up in the mainstream media/liberal class warfare mode, who somehow believe my hard work and sacrifice to own a very nice car, keeps them from having what they refuse to work for.
Personally, my vision, hard work and delayed gratification have produced many jobs for others, over the years, and I can't think of one time my actions caused someone else to be "poor."
To finish the thought....... I'll discuss being my brother's keeper as soon as the bleeding hearts will discuss "my brother's" debt in return.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Very true, very true.
Vandalism is probably very near theft as far as losses go and vandals are mostly those caught up in the mainstream media/liberal class warfare mode, who somehow believe my hard work and sacrifice to own a very nice car, keeps them from having what they refuse to work for.
Personally, my vision, hard work and delayed gratification have produced many jobs for others, over the years, and I can't think of one time my actions caused someone else to be "poor."
To finish the thought....... I'll discuss being my brother's keeper as soon as the bleeding hearts will discuss "my brother's" debt in return.
I don't like to turn anything into a political discussion, but I have to say that there are small minded idiots who support every possible political view.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #11

IDK about the theft increase but it's a good bet that a car pulled over for speeding with something akin to "blewbyU" on it, is going to have it's driver pleading uphill.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 01-23-2010 at 01:32 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #12

"IM POOR"

some will understand it some wont. The people who hated on it before I bought it will eat my plate up
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #13

Sort of Off Topic

I was going down the interstate just over the speed limit a couple of months ago when a red 'vette blew by with the license plate OH SO RED. About ten seconds later a car with oh so red (and blue) lights came screaming up behind him. I guess they were friends because they both pulled over and had a nice conversation.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #14

My apologies for jumping to a wrong conclusion about a comment made.
I must admit I spend too much time on a couple of politically centered sites and am a bit quick to jump to the defense of my statements.
I will try very hard to keep politics out of this car oriented site and just keep to the subject at hand - having a blast with our great cars.

Sorry, blue.

Last edited by Quickurt; 01-25-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
IDK about the theft increase but it's a good bet that a car pulled over for speeding with something akin to "blewbyU" on it, is going to have it's driver pleading uphill.
Exactly!! It's hard enough staying off the "Men in Blue"'s radar screen!!

Maybe PRTCT&SV for your tag!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424
My list so far....my father restores 356's so I have some influence there. I love 917 race cars and all Porsche history in general.

NVS4917
NVOF917
917ENVY
IDLZ917
917GOAT
356BORN
356RL8D
550LGND
MDRN550
16X24LM
NTXIK8N
Most of your choices seem pretty benign. In fact, most people won't even get what they stand for. Do something "edgy" like I did, and you will attract wacko's, a**holes and nut jobs of every denomination.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #17

Mine is R986S.

R cuz it is retired military. I doubt most even get it unless they are in they are in the know, and only one (a mechanic) ever commented to me about it.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #18

I did: BOX CTS (box seats), but I think I'm the only one who gets it.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Mine is R986S.

R cuz it is retired military. I doubt most even get it unless they are in they are in the know, and only one (a mechanic) ever commented to me about it.
Good to see other military members here. I'm retired as well. While I was in the military I was always called "Cas" and as you can see it's also part of my username.

My plates for my Porsche cars are:

CAS951S - 1988 944 turbo S
CASBXTR - 2002 Boxster S I should have made it CASBXT S
CAS LMTD - 2008 Boxster S PDE2 I wanted CASPDE2 but wife didn't like it.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote