Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #1

Garage
Hooray for un-mods

I removed the B&M short shifter from my Boxster and wow what a great un-mod this was. The SS was overly mechanical in feel and made reverse almost impossible to get into. It was kin to me of trying to feel something through thick rubber gloves.

The stock shifter with the aluminium bushings from the B&M is as close to perfect as I could want. It shifts smoothly, quietly and I am 100% certain that the gearbox is in gear when I let out the clutch. Reverse is easy to find and the shifter translates lots of information to me that the short shifter didn't even know existed.

It may slow me down by milliseconds but not missing a gear and overreving plus a more pleasurable driving experience is enough for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I also do not like the B&M short shift kit. Drove 2 separate cars with that mod, and really did not like the feel of it. Reminded me of an 80s Mustang GT shifter...rough and notchy, and not smooth, buttery and refined like the OEM shifter.

I will say, however, that Porsche's newest short shift kit made for the 987 and 997 line (which also fits the 986/996 line) does shorten the throw significantly while still retaining the buttery smoothness. Drove a friend's 997 S cab that had one, and really was impressed by it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #3

Garage
I drove the Porsche SSK in a 2010 Carrera S a few weeks ago and while it was smoother than the B&M I just did not like the feel of it. It is a confidence issue for me. I like to feel the shifter slide out of gear, cross neutral and then engage then next gear. While the OEM part does give more feel than the aftermarket even in the Porsche SSK this sensation was reduced more than I like.

My driving style is fast and smooth, the SSK is too "short track" for me.

BTW: The 3.6 Box is epic! Fast like no other 986 I have experienced.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I bet that 3.6 is awesome. I've driven a 3.4 converted Boxster, and that was already pretty nice. Congrats.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #5

Garage
The more I drive it the more impressed I am with it. I am getting used to the noises from the lightweight flywheel since that is a new feature for me.

It is brutally quick if you put your foot in it but beyond that what I like most about it is that to me it has taken the 986 into the realm of a world class grand tourer.

It goes fast so effortlessly. No need for lots of noise or hoopla with the torque in 5th and 6th, you get from 70 to 90 in the blink of an eye. It is hard to drive it at 55, it takes real concentration because it really wants to go 85 which seems to be where the sweet spot is.

I need a radar detector really soon!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #6

While the Schnell unit I put in my 987 is a bit more "mechanical" feeling, as one said above, it is not the least bit hard to shift or rough feeling. It is actually much more precise feeling than the OEM and I am MUCH more confident which geear I am in. You definitely feel the synchros releasing when coming out of one gear and you know, without a doubt, you are in the gear you wanted to select and it is all the way into gear before releasing the clutch. I don't rush shifts or abuse gearboxes, so the only issue I'm having, so far, is the shift is enough shorter, I have not yet adjusted clutch engagement timing.
It's another "To each his own" and it's looking like you either love or hate them, but the Schnell does not remind me of any of the criticisms I'm reading on the B&M unit.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
The more I drive it the more impressed I am with it. I am getting used to the noises from the lightweight flywheel since that is a new feature for me.

It is brutally quick if you put your foot in it but beyond that what I like most about it is that to me it has taken the 986 into the realm of a world class grand tourer.

It goes fast so effortlessly. No need for lots of noise or hoopla with the torque in 5th and 6th, you get from 70 to 90 in the blink of an eye. It is hard to drive it at 55, it takes real concentration because it really wants to go 85 which seems to be where the sweet spot is.

I need a radar detector really soon!
I beat a guy off the lights at Gator Dragway (during BrumosU school) so bad DOn gave him a sample pack of Nodoz when we came back around!! He was in a 3.8 Carrera and still passed me about the time I hit third gear with my 3.2 S. I did a .196 light and he did about a .750!!
I can't imagine, well I could but then I'd have to clean my shorts, how sweet the 3.6 986 has to be!!
Congrats!!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #8

Garage
It is definitely a personal preference thing no doubt.

I think that the aluminum bushings from the B&M with the stock shifter has improved the precision to some extent over straight stock poly bushings. So I guess it could still count as a mod.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #9

Has anyone tried the 'Swift Shift' from EVOMS? Seems to be the ideal middle ground - retains the stock shifter, but reduces the throw by 20%
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #10

I spent quite some time adjusting my Schnell, before reassembling everything. I'm paying the price, as the airbag system now must be reset because of starting the car with sensors in the center housing disconnected, but driving and adjusting made a TON of difference from the original assembly feel.
It is supposed to have a 30% reduction in travel. I didn't measure it before, but it is about 4" from 1st to 2nd, now!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #11

Are the bushings available separately from the B&M? I remember hearing about GT3 Shifter bushings.

I wonder what a 987 shifter console + aluminum bushings would be like?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
Are the bushings available separately from the B&M? I remember hearing about GT3 Shifter bushings.

I wonder what a 987 shifter console + aluminum bushings would be like?
Have you looked at the Schnell bushings? They are aluminum, adjustable and have a nylon insert in them. I'm sure you could buy them separate from the SS kit. The only thing I did not do was check to see if the Schnell bushings fit the OEM shifter shaft. Was not an issue during the installation.

Beside, the bushings in my OEM 987 mechanism had zero play in them. I don't see how they were an issue.

I only drove a couple 986s, but the 987 OEM shift linkage is MUCH better.

Last edited by Quickurt; 02-11-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #13

I guess I am unusual, but I really like the feel of my short shift kit. The stock shifter was very smooth, way too long of a throw for my taste. Much more fun with the short shifting.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #14

I second the short shift kit...I personally like my B&M very much. The stock shifter is very long and vague to me; this coming from someone who tracks a 911 with a 915 box. Every time I drive a Box or 99X with the stock shifter, I'm reminded how glad I am to have made the upgrade.

I do agree it's all in the adjustments; slap the thing in and it probably won't feel right.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #15

I love my Schnell unit, too, but it seems that's the case.........love or hate!
It feels almost identical (at least from a ten year old memory) of my Swift DB4 shifting a Staffs box. Only real difference is the Staffs is a dog-clutch box.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #16

I've found the best middle ground with the standard 9x7 shifter assembly. The B&M was horrible even after several adjustments. Shift effort was so high that the actual shifting was slower than with stock and it took the fun out of shifting.

In regards to purchasing only the aluminum bushings with the inserts.....all I have to say is good luck with that. I tried to get some from B&M since I had to mix and match the stock shifter with B&M bushings for awhile. I wanted to buy another set of B&M bushings so I could make the shifter a complete kit again and unload it. They told me I was out of luck, to bad so sad. I guess I haven't been the only one asking/looking for their replacement bushings due to a large # of people unsatisfied with their shifter and then basically stuck with it. Schnell might be more open to helping someone out with gettting just the bushings, but I don't know.

Last edited by Adam; 02-11-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I've found the best middle ground with the standard 9x7 shifter assembly. The B&M was horrible even after several adjustments. Shift effort was so high that the actual shifting was slower than with stock and it took the fun out of shifting.

In regards to purchasing only the aluminum bushings with the inserts.....all I have to say is good luck with that. I tried to get some from B&M since I had to mix and match the stock shifter with B&M bushings for awhile. I wanted to buy another set of B&M bushings so I could make the shifter a complete kit again and unload it. They told me I was out of luck, to bad so sad. I guess I haven't been the only one asking/looking for their replacement bushings due to a large # of people unsatisfied with their shifter and then basically stuck with it. Schnell might be more open to helping someone out with gettting just the bushings, but I don't know.
I also don't know if the OEM shafts and the replacement unit shafts (Schnell) are the same diameter. It may be a moot point. I do know the base of the actual shifter shaft, where the knob mounts, was not. For a while, I had a large lump in my shorts! (and not in the front!)
I will again make note for all: make sure the new shift shafts are compatible with OEM 987 shift knob BEFORE purchasing a kit from Schnell. I bought mine from a forum member who had never installed it. It was at least one year old and DID NOT list 987 on the box.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #18

on my 997 the B&M is wonderful. It is less notchy than the factory short shifter I tested in a GT3. It is a little tight when cold but after a few dozen throws it loosens up a tad. I hated the stock long throw. The adjustment is the key
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I've found the best middle ground with the standard 9x7 shifter assembly.
I've seen this reported quite a few times. Might have to do it.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
I've seen this reported quite a few times. Might have to do it.
Yeah, but what are you going to do with that "Hope Stick" on your 914????
I had a 71 914-6 and several different 4s. Worst shifters on the planet! They made my early 911s seem like precision.