Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

235/40/18

Are any of guys running this size on a 986 with a 7.5" front rim? I'm thinking about going a size wider up front to help reduce the low speed understeer the car has. If so, how is it working for you? Any problems getting them to fit on the rim?

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #2

I think tirerack lists the rim width range acceptable for the tire. If not, maybe the manufacturer will have the info.
It may have a clearance issue, but this would also change with different tires of the same technical size.
I went the other way, I have 8.5" wide front rims for that size tire (stock 987 front) and 10" wide rear with stock tire that was on 9" stock rim.
The reason I did this is tire stability. The wider rim restricts the sideall from flexing as much. The narrower rim will probably give more sidewall flex which, depending on individual tire, may increase understeer by distorting the tread or lifting part of the footprint.
Let's hope someone who has tried it sees this thread and responds!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #3

I have the OEM 18" rims and am running 235/40/18 on front.
Fits fine and takes a little understeer out
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I think tirerack lists the rim width range acceptable for the tire.
Tire Rack has the range as 8-9.5 for a 235/40/18 but I'm not going to let that dissuade me yet. I know of some fellow Mazda autocross guys running a 245 on a 6.5" rim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I have the OEM 18" rims and am running 235/40/18 on front.
Fits fine and takes a little understeer out
good good. Thanks Chris!

Last edited by Adam; 02-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #5

Actually when I ordered the size on tirerack I got a call from them on my mobile phone the next day, verifying that I really wanted that size. I then confirmed (and convinced them) and then they shipped it.

Pretty good customer service, ey?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Actually when I ordered the size on tirerack I got a call from them on my mobile phone the next day, verifying that I really wanted that size. I then confirmed (and convinced them) and then they shipped it.

Pretty good customer service, ey?
That is good customer service. I have had nothing but great experiences with Tire Rack which is why I keep going back.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #7

I run 225/40/18 on the fronts and 265/35/18 on the backs. Just what you see here. Nice feel and handling...I do not performance drive at all...to old for that anymore.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
I run 225/40/18 on the fronts and 265/35/18 on the backs. Just what you see here. Nice feel and handling...I do not performance drive at all...to old for that anymore.
Yup, that's what I'm running right now as well. I got an alignment done last year and maxed out the front negative camber at a whopping .5 degree and it helped but it still has a propensity to push in slow corners. I'm just looking for an extra edge out on the autocross course. Since I run in stock class there isn't a whole lot I can do and still stay legal.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Yup, that's what I'm running right now as well. I got an alignment done last year and maxed out the front negative camber at a whopping .5 degree and it helped but it still has a propensity to push in slow corners. I'm just looking for an extra edge out on the autocross course. Since I run in stock class there isn't a whole lot I can do and still stay legal.
O Crap...you have a 6-speed. Wanted one myself, but settled for this old farts Boxster instead. Still fun to drive.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
O Crap...you have a 6-speed. Wanted one myself, but settled for this old farts Boxster instead. Still fun to drive.

LOL! Me too, old Phart that is, just turned 69 last Oct.

Now I have a wheel dilemma. I have a set of 8x18F & 10x18R five spoke Carrera Lightweights. I need to have them refurbished before they are presentable but they were cheap enough to consider getting them spruced up. Original Porsche wheels from a C4, '02. I am currently running the straight windmill spoke specific to the '01 Boxster, 7x17 F & 8.5x17R which I am fond of plus the width of tire still delivers decent mileage. What I wonder is what, if any, weight increase will be if I switch to the 18's? Cost of tires is a bit more expensive but not that bad. Any buddy have weighed their 18's for comparison? Also when you switched to 18's, did your mileage suffer?

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote