986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dead Battery Pls Help (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23600)

ermed911 02-06-2010 04:39 PM

Dead Battery Pls Help

So I found myself with a dead battery situation this morning. My question is can I start my car(01 tiptronic) with a jumper cable or just buy a battery and replace it? Are there any issues I should know before disconnecting the old battery before replacing it with a new one? Any input would be appreciated. Also Any recommendation what type of battery should I buy.Cheers

schnellman 02-06-2010 06:10 PM

Frunk

Lots of posts here on this problem. If you're battery is truly dead you won't be able to get into the front trunk to do a jump to the battery. You might be able to jump to the post located by the fuse box. Or, you might be able to use a battery tender hooked up through the cigarette lighter. Don't know what brands of batteries are available down under. Would suggest you not pay through the nose for a genuine Porsche brand battery. Around here an Interstate works fine.
Do a search on this forum.

Lil bastard 02-06-2010 08:03 PM

What year is your car?

Cheers!

ermed911 02-06-2010 09:19 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.
@Lil Bastard: model year is 01 tiptronic
cheers

BUZ986 02-07-2010 01:17 AM

In the fuse box there is a post that extends out and you need to put the + end of the cables on it and the other on the door latch hook on the car body, connect the other side to a battery from another car. this will alow you to pop the hood and get to the dead battery to charge. Good Luck

mikefocke 02-07-2010 04:48 AM

Use the fuse box jumper post and the door stricker plate

just to get the front trunk to open. Don't try to start the car.

Once you have access to the battery, check the fluid levels and replace with distilled water. Don't be afraid to climb into the trunk. Jumper it for 15 minutes before trying to start it. Or put it on the charger for several hours.

On an '01, you'll lose the radio code due to the battery run down so look for the security code in your owners manual. Your windows may not work right the first few times you use them. And any memory seats can lose their memory.

Now get the alternator and voltage regulator checked and the battery load tested so it doesn't happen again.

Good luck.

ermed911 02-07-2010 02:19 PM

Problem Solved! Bought a fresh new battery (Century Aha 70/320) cost me 216AU$ and followed instruction from the replys. First start Great! Punched in the radio code and it worked! Im just waiting for the rain to stop and will go for a spin. Thanks guys!!!!
Cheers