Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Driver's side high beam - not operational

Hi All,
This is my first post. I picked up my 02 Boxster S with 53k on it over the weekend. Love this car!!!
One issue, my drivers side high beam isn't working, but the passenger side is operational. I've replaced the bulb and the fuses are good, so I put a voltage tester on the leads for the driver side HB lamp and there isn't any voltage. Since the passenger side is working, could this still be an issue at the light switch? Or maybe the high beam stalk? I saw a post about how the wiring from the dash to the light can go bad from time to time. Any help would be appreciated. I have 8 days to get my car inspected. Thanks!

gecko2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

Sounds an awful lot like a failing headlight switch. A common problem not too terribly pricey to fix. Do a search for many threads on this.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

Thanks! I'll take a look at the light switch tonight.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #4

I figured it out.

I figured it out. The previous owner did the fog/hi-beam hack and didn't solder or use a 2-wire tap. The hi-beam positive lead just had the pvc striped back and they used electric tape to keep the wires together. When I saw this I got really worried I'd find more of this kind of hack job, but everything else appears to be ok. Wheeeeeew!