986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Boxster service manual from Bentley just arrived (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23472)

Anim 01-27-2010 06:26 AM

The Boxster service manual from Bentley just arrived

Its massive!

I was expecting a Haynes style hardback but this is more like 3 of them stuck together.

670 pages in all

Lots of secret goodies in here......

Anim

gschotland 01-27-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anim
Its massive!

I was expecting a Haynes style hardback but this is more like 3 of them stuck together.

670 pages in all

Lots of secret goodies in here......

Anim

So many people think the price ($70-$100 here) is outrageous, but I think most who've taken the plunge will agree that it's just about the most worthwhile money they've spent on their car. For me, time saved on the first successful project paid for it, never mind the blood, skin, limbs, etc. that I might have lost without it. Some of us can be quite scary around tools. :D

JFP in PA 01-27-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gschotland
So many people think the price ($70-$100 here) is outrageous, but I think most who've taken the plunge will agree that it's just about the most worthwhile money they've spent on their car.

If you think the Bentley is expensive, the OEM 13 volume set (before they stopped printing it) sold for thousands, and was obviously written for the elves in the Black Forest who where fully equipped with all the Porsche specific tools in the cosmos................ Plus you got to buy updates for each model and year as they came out.

Jaak 01-27-2010 12:07 PM

Ordered mine from Chapters.ca for $72 CDN delivered to the door!!!

Frind has Indy P-Car shop and I get to thumb through his manuals as well as use his tools & mechanics ...

I do like to research the problems as well as do some of the easy stuff.

demick 01-27-2010 12:10 PM

I was also expecting a Haynes type of manual, and was surprised at the size when I got mine. Yes, well worth the money.

rick3000 01-27-2010 01:08 PM

I refer to my Bentley manual as the Bible of All Things Boxster. It is great source of info and probably the most valuable tool I have for working on my car. I actually just finished getting some torque settings out of it for a strut bar install.
It is well worth $65 on Amazon. :cheers:

JackG 01-27-2010 06:09 PM

I just realized that I have a lightly used Bentley manual for the 986 sitting here not being used. I used it as a reference when I did my CV boots, and for a couple of regular maintenance items.

I'd sell it for $50 shipped in the lower 48 states.

manxman 01-28-2010 02:16 PM

Bentley Boxster Manual

Just bought a 97 986 with 99K and need a manual! You take paypal? Get back to me at manx47857@sbcglobal.net Roger

70Sixter 01-30-2010 11:44 AM

I bought mine from Amazon as soon as it came out. $99.00 IIRC. Worth every cent and it is next to my leg at the computer.

I have a factory manual set in the basement garage, but Bentley works most of the time.

The codes and wiring diagrams alone are worth a lot!

TimAustinW 01-30-2010 11:49 AM

if you own a Boxster the first two things you should buy is an OBDII reader and a Bentley Manual and keep them in your boot. If you are on the road and throw a check engine light you can read the error code. Then use the manual to find out what the problem is and decide if it's safe or not to drive your car any further.

:troll: