986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Putting in 55w xenon blue white bulbs into stock light fixture? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23463)

Samson 02-05-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
FWIW - I installed a set of the sylvania silverstars...and I can't say I really noticed much difference at all. the ones I bought were the "better" ones that were supposed to be more pure white or whatever they call it... to me, they do NOT look like litronics/HIDs at all.

Silverstars are not imitation HID bulbs. They are just a slightly brighter/whiter halogen replacement. I have them in my Outback Sport, and I too am not all that impressed with the improvement compared to what is supposed to be a pretty significant reduction in life. I did a side-by-side comparison, and there was a small brightness/whiteness gain, but nothing extreme. They're still yellow.

Regarding the Litronics, I'm not really that impressed with them on my '01. They may be better on a 987, but when compared to the reflector HIDs on my old IS, they're pretty weak and have a poor beam pattern. The poor beam pattern is more of a function of the small projector assembly vs. a much larger and more complex (and expensive) reflector, so that's kind of hard to avoid.

Quickurt 02-05-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson
Silverstars are not imitation HID bulbs. They are just a slightly brighter/whiter halogen replacement. I have them in my Outback Sport, and I too am not all that impressed with the improvement compared to what is supposed to be a pretty significant reduction in life. I did a side-by-side comparison, and there was a small brightness/whiteness gain, but nothing extreme. They're still yellow.

Regarding the Litronics, I'm not really that impressed with them on my '01. They may be better on a 987, but when compared to the reflector HIDs on my old IS, they're pretty weak and have a poor beam pattern. The poor beam pattern is more of a function of the small projector assembly vs. a much larger and more complex (and expensive) reflector, so that's kind of hard to avoid.

I've had HID on Acura CL-2001, Mazda RX8 - 2004 and Mazda CX7 - 2007 and I must say my 987 - 2006 is far superior.

HDManny 02-05-2010 08:20 PM

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickurt
If you're gonna put in those gay blue bulbs, get yourself a big can exhaust tip and some guages going up the A pillars with a phoney fire extinguisher mounted on the dash.

Hey, I appreciate the ideas you mentioned but I am going to use a real fire extinguisher, I think that willl look cooler....lol

Quickurt 02-06-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDManny
Hey, I appreciate the ideas you mentioned but I am going to use a real fire extinguisher, I think that willl look cooler....lol

:troll: ROFLMAO!!! :p :p :D

Dino 05-09-2010 03:57 PM

Beware!!!

I put in a pair of Hoen xenon match bulbs in my driving/fog light sockets a couple of weeks ago. After about 5 days I noticed that they had melted the plastic lens on my litronics headlights!! What the F***!! One side is just kind of dimpled in, but the other side has a white, milky looking spot on the inside of the lens. $20 worth of bulbs just cost me $2k!! :mad: