986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Battery Options (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2323)

John Gibson 03-18-2005 05:04 AM

Battery Options

My OEM battery has given up the fight and it needs to be replaced. What is the best option available for replacement? OEM, sealed battery or what?

Thanks,
John

BuffaloBoxster 03-18-2005 05:22 AM

I bought one from Autozone a few weeks back. It's maintenance free and it was least expensive at like $70 or so. Just go in and tell them what you need. It's easy to change, takes like 10 minutes. There's a core refund, so take your old battery with you.

RandallNeighbour 03-18-2005 07:39 AM

I love the best DieHard batteries Sears sells. Sears are everywhere, so warranty replacement is easy down the road, and they have a no-questions-asked replacement policy.

They'll also diagnose a weak battery for free.

Brucelee 03-18-2005 07:47 AM

Don't forget that you will need to recode the radio.

:)

Tool Pants 03-18-2005 08:05 AM

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2950

underDAWG 03-18-2005 09:01 AM

IF you have Costco in your area, get an Optima Red top. For 99 bucks, it is a good deal and great battery. HTH.

Later,

Porschekid 03-18-2005 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underDAWG
IF you have Costco in your area, get an Optima Red top. For 99 bucks, it is a good deal and great battery. HTH.

Later,

True, I have one in my Altima and love it. But I hear it takes quite a bit of modification to fit in the Boxster.

Brucelee 03-18-2005 12:26 PM

The optima is much smaller than the stock battery. I don't know how you hold that baby down in the cubicle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
True, I have one in my Altima and love it. But I hear it takes quite a bit of modification to fit in the Boxster.

porscheguy05 03-18-2005 07:03 PM

I have a red top optima in mine, and all I did was remove the battery as well as the tray and affixed it to the trayso that the tray bolts could still be used to put both back in the car. There are little tabs on the sides of the optima that was perfect for drilling a small hole through to mount it. I also remember seeing several article regarding the making of an adapter plate to use the original mounting system, but I am not sure where I saw them.

Brucelee 03-19-2005 05:34 AM

What is the advantage of the Optima anyway?

;)

porscheguy05 03-19-2005 07:01 PM

There are a few advantages, which may mean nothing to some people though. They are a totally sealed battery which in theory could be mounted upside down in the front seat of your car. It emits absolutely no corrosive substance either. They are designed with some patented spira cell technololgy which is totally different than standard lead acid batteries. Many racers use them for the fact that they do not emit any harmful fumes as a lead acid battery will and they are also designed to take severe vibrations, which again probably does not make that much of a difference to the common driver. Also they can be completely ran down and recharged without suffering any damage to the battery. I cannot remember the exact figures, but they can be brought back from full discharge a rediculous amount of times. Check out their website if you are really interested, because I am only going off my memory. I just like the extra durability and reliability with the battery, and they are not that much more expensive.

Brucelee 03-20-2005 06:06 AM

Thanks. They look kinda cool too but of course, you can't see them in the box!

:cheers:

underDAWG 03-20-2005 06:51 AM

Porscheguy is right. I use Optima battery exclusively for my offroad application. I can winch all day long and drain the battery death. I can charge it right back up. HTH.

Later,