Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
986 members in Dallas

Hey Guys,

My wife and I recently moved to Dallas from Austin. I took a job at id Software as the Lead Environment Artist on DOOM 4 :troll: woo hoo! My wife got a kick ass job as a Producer at ReelFX working on the movie Open Season 3. A year ago this time we had both been laid off from Midway Games in Austin so we're pretty stoked not just having jobs but probably the best positions we can get in the state of Texas in our respected industries!.

Anyway, being a much bigger city than Austin I was hoping Dallas would have more to offer for Porsche fanatics than Austin. I'm living in State Thomas/Uptown and man there are some sweet cars in this area, Bentleys, Astin Martins, Ferraris, Lambos, Maserati and 911s are a dime a dozen. I see a few Boxsters but mostly 911s.

If anyone who lives in the Dallas area could post some links to good shops I can take my car for service and also places to shop for Porsche stuff, OEM or aftermarket I'd certainly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Tim

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #2

Welcome to Dallas. You live a long stone throw from me and yes it's a great area for spotting high end cars.

Your local dealership is Park Place Porsche located near Love Field. They do good work but are not shy about charging dealer prices. The parts counter at Boardwalk Porsche (Plano) typically has better pricing for those last minute repair projects. Zims Autotechnik is another option for parts but is more of a drive.

DFW has a large number of independent Porsche shops; I typically use RUF in Addison. Download the latest Slipstream publication from PCA Maverick Region to see ads for many of the popular repair and parts places. http://mav.pca.org/Newsletter/Newsletter.asp
Old 12-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #3

Craig Taylor from Taylor Race Engineering, in Plano, is a good old friend and customer. He's not particularly a Porschephyle but he will know the best and most honest sportscar shops around the area.
I was very close to making a deal with Boardwalk on a 07 Boxster sport edition when my local dealer got real on the car I ended up buying. They were very pleasant to deal with, Graig went and checked out the car for me and had nothing but good things to say about Boardwalk.
I am glad I ended up with the S instead of the 2.7 with 6 spd and PASM/Sport Chrono.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Welcome to Dallas. You live a long stone throw from me and yes it's a great area for spotting high end cars.

Your local dealership is Park Place Porsche located near Love Field. They do good work but are not shy about charging dealer prices. The parts counter at Boardwalk Porsche (Plano) typically has better pricing for those last minute repair projects. Zims Autotechnik is another option for parts but is more of a drive.

DFW has a large number of independent Porsche shops; I typically use RUF in Addison. Download the latest Slipstream publication from PCA Maverick Region to see ads for many of the popular repair and parts places. http://mav.pca.org/Newsletter/Newsletter.asp
^^^ I agree and I also take my car to RUF for all of my maintenance work, as a matter of fact they just installed a new replacement engine for me. Hopefully you will not need to visit them for the same reason.

Welcome to Dallas
Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #5

+1 for RUF

These guys are really knowledgeable, fair pricing (for cars like ours), and the experience of going over there is really fantastic! Welcome to Dallas!
roadsoundlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #6

Now with links!

Looks like your questions have been answered. And the answers here are the best in Dallas in my experience as well.

Being a web guy, let me throw some links in the mix:

Repair
1) RUF (Addison) www.racperformance.com
2) Zims (Bedford) www.********************************************

Body Shop
1) GTI (Euless) www.germantechnologyinc.com
2) Stuart's (Dallas) www.stuartspnb.com

I live a block over from you in Uptown. I see the most expensive cars near Primo's on McKinney. Exotics in Uptown remind me of animals in captivity...

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

Welcome to Dallas! Congrats on the cool jobs!
+1 on the shops mentioned. Just make sure to mention your PCA membership if you go to Park place or Boardwalk, for an additional 10% discount.
I would recommend joining the Maverick region of PCA and come out and play!

Mike