Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #1

hi everyone i'm brand new and this is my first post ever.We (wife and I) bought a 2002s last summer i have fallen in love with it,its a complete joy.So now after reading about ims failure and the fact we have no previous maint. doc. and no maintenence agreement i get a scared feeling every time i drive it! It has 44kmi and 6spd stk yellow black top,we posted it on craigslist.
otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis
hi everyone i'm brand new and this is my first post ever.We (wife and I) bought a 2002s last summer i have fallen in love with it,its a complete joy.So now after reading about ims failure and the fact we have no previous maint. doc. and no maintenence agreement i get a scared feeling every time i drive it! It has 44kmi and 6spd stk yellow black top,we posted it on craigslist.
If you love it so much, why sell it? The chance of engine failure exists in every car, and although the threat of IMS failure is real, there are ways to alleviate or reduce the likelihood of an IMS failure. You can easily search for them here. Forums like this one are full of people who are really into their cars and tend to talk about every aspect of the car, some good and some bad, more than your average consumer. Porsches are high performance sports cars and require more maintenance and care than say an old Honda or Chevy but the driving experience is worth the cost. Don't give into fear and sell the car out of a "possible" failure that has not occurred and may not ever occur.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #3

Otis. Drive the car! Do not be afraid of it. There are many cars that have over 100k on the clock and are modded. Some even turbo. Any car can break at any time. Just change the oil a bit more than normal is my opinion. I change mine every 2k. I use castrol syntec 5/40 the car feels great with that in it. Just think of all the boxster owners who are not actually interested in the car it self but just to drive a something that says Porsche. These people have no idea what IMS or any of that is. Put the top down, get some coffee and enjoy the ride.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #4

Smile scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Otis. Drive the car! Do not be afraid of it. There are many cars that have over 100k on the clock and are modded. Some even turbo. Any car can break at any time. Just change the oil a bit more than normal is my opinion. I change mine every 2k. I use castrol syntec 5/40 the car feels great with that in it. Just think of all the boxster owners who are not actually interested in the car it self but just to drive a something that says Porsche. These people have no idea what IMS or any of that is. Put the top down, get some coffee and enjoy the ride.
I'm not sure if this is how or where to reply but here goes,So from Alaska to NY says drive it and don't worry about it.Ok so can i call a dealer with the vin# to find documented services? I read someone bought a warrenty but had to have maint. docs then has to show subsequent serices,i have already changed the oil myself mobil 1 synth.and have serviced and fixed modded for years i'm 52 i have a great home shop with a 2 post lift and never been beat by anything to date.Mabey a warrenty would help me sleep.I still think my car is the best most fun car iv'e had to date.thanks for any and all input
Old 12-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #5

Otis - drive it like you stole it!!
Anything can go pop and some of them are as expensive to fix as the Boxster.
There are a couple of aftermarket warranty threads, check them out. They look reasonably priced for the best ones.
I opted to use the cash I was going to use to buy an 04 outright and put it down on an 06, factory certified from my local dealer, for my long term warranty (very reasonable 4 year financing).
In either case, you're not going to get the performance and balance of the Boxster from anything else, for anywhere near the cost.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
JTP

LN Engineering has an improved IMS retrofit kit and Jake Raby of Flat6Innovations offers solutions to many deficiencies in the M96 engine. They have posted hundreds of times on this subject. Search their posts and respective websites for valuable information. Warranty is good but have their faults as well.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Drive it, replacing a motor in a Boxster is an easy job with a 2 post lift.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #8

Smile starting to calm down(IMS)

I looked at Jake Raby's flat six innovations ims fix,it looks like something i could do without too much trouble.I did go to Porsche with my baby's vin and there is no history of any warranty work whatsoever. I don't know if thats good or bad?Anyway i emailed Jake to see what he thinks about supplying me with the goods,my girl has 44kmi.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #9

I purchased my Boxster with about 65k miles on it in late June of this year and it has a little over 74k miles on it now. My wife and I drove to Miami, Fl for Christmas and put about 2300 miles on it in 10 days. I try not to think of whatever could break and just enjoy driving the car and you should try to also. IMHO