Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
yes but i guess i should also throw in there it is kind of a tradition among the PCA faithful.
Absolutely. Back in the early '80's in the SF Bay Area, I had a 944 and I'd almost always get a response. When I got my 914, I was disappointed that I couldn't flash my lights in the day at people. Years later, I added driving lights (in the fog position) and wired my system just so I could flash my lights, but the tradition had passed by that time, now that there were so many mass-market image-based Porsche owners. Flashing your lights at a Cayenne driver will usually get you the finger

If you want to get a response, flash your lights at most any pre-1980 911 owner, especially if you encounter one on a winding road, far from boring city traffic.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #22

i had a miata years ago and it seemed Miata owners were always flashing headlights and waving at each other....

i'm sure that has "worn off" now that there are so many of htem and it's less of a unique car...

i sometimes wave at other boxster or Porsches...sometimes they acknowledge you, but often they don't.

can't hurt to be friendly! i say wave if you want to....
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanders
When I got my 914, I was disappointed that I couldn't flash my lights in the day at people.
I used to just pull the light switch. Took alittle more effort but it worked with the "opening eyes" effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I always wave or flash my lights when I see women driving topless.
I actually saw this when I used to live on Maui. It was a tourist driving a convertible Mustang. Gave her a big friendly smile and wave! I guess she didn't want a tan line and I wasn't going to complain.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #24

Thumbs up

I have been waved at a couple of times and returned the wave while driving my Boxster. We do not have many Porsches where we live so I have not run into too many. Suprisingly we drove to Miami for Christmas and in alsmot 1000 miles never came across another Porsche. I saw many BMWs, MBs, amd Jaguars, one Bugatti, one Maserati and a Lamborghini/ I know this is not germane to the thread, I just thought it odd. I also ride a bike and always wave at other riders regardless of the type or brand on motorcycle they are on.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #25

i usually always flash, and if the other P-car is far enough ahead, i usually get one back (even 911's)

..and if I'm in the 914... well... sometimes it's more of a wink lol
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #26

In my neck 'o the woods, I haven't had a Porsche not return the wave. Even the 911 drivers wave. Though I'm usually in my own world when driving the Boxster with the top down so usually it's the other Porsche that initiates the wave or horn beep.

Now when I was riding a bike, the Harley riders would never ever return the wave to me riding on a Honda.
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #27

On Monday mornings, I often pass a silver 987 Box in my silver 986. For monthes, no flashes or waves; I guess like me, he is grimly returning the weekend funcar to weekday storage. After I installed my Zeintop, Mr. 987 now flashes, thumbs up and grins!
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #28

I have had Porsches since my 64 356C, bought in 68. It used to be Porsche owners ALWAYS flashed lights back and forth. But those were the days when enthusiasts owned Porsches, not snobs.
I live in Brumos country so Porsche enthusiasts have a history predating even Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood, going all the way back to Avery Brundage. Brumos Porsche has been a landmark for Jacksonville and sportscar racing for well over 30 years, so I still get quite a few returns of the lights. Some just look at you and the sales force has a running joke about new owners questioning all the other Porsches flashing lights at them. They are good spirited about it and explain it to the newbies, some of whom actually get it. When traveling away from Jax, loss of return flashes seems exponential to distance, other than nearing another racetrack on race weekends.
Light flashing was so important to Peter Gregg he had his first 928 modified by his service department to swivel the headlights into working position, flash and return to normal position! I have no idea what that cost him (beside about 10% of what it would have cost one of his customers!! ) but it took his head mechanic and parts manager several days to work it out to Peter's perfection demand.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I have had Porsches since my 64 356C, bought in 68. It used to be Porsche owners ALWAYS flashed lights back and forth. But those were the days when enthusiasts owned Porsches, not snobs.
I live in Brumos country so Porsche enthusiasts have a history predating even Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood, going all the way back to Avery Brundage. Brumos Porsche has been a landmark for Jacksonville and sportscar racing for well over 30 years, so I still get quite a few returns of the lights. Some just look at you and the sales force has a running joke about new owners questioning all the other Porsches flashing lights at them. They are good spirited about it and explain it to the newbies, some of whom actually get it. When traveling away from Jax, loss of return flashes seems exponential to distance, other than nearing another racetrack on race weekends.
Light flashing was so important to Peter Gregg he had his first 928 modified by his service department to swivel the headlights into working position, flash and return to normal position! I have no idea what that cost him (beside about 10% of what it would have cost one of his customers!! ) but it took his head mechanic and parts manager several days to work it out to Peter's perfection demand.
Wow. Thanks for the background. I recall my early experiences in the late 70's when I friend bought his first 911. Luckily he was clued in by the previous owner about the flash. Lots of fun. We used to count how many Porsches we'd meet and if they returned the flash or not. Now I live in a tourist area in CA and when I flash tourists in Porsches its seems to confuse them.
bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcuscgr94
Wow. Thanks for the background. I recall my early experiences in the late 70's when I friend bought his first 911. Luckily he was clued in by the previous owner about the flash. Lots of fun. We used to count how many Porsches we'd meet and if they returned the flash or not. Now I live in a tourist area in CA and when I flash tourists in Porsches its seems to confuse them.
My experience as a tourist in California; I was confused with no lights flashing!!

Seriously, though, I had a blast in LA in early 95. Went to buy a plastic forming machine and happened to schedule it the same weekend as Long Beach GP. It was a hoot and I really enjoyed the entire area.
I warned the rental car company about a "suspicious" brake problem on the Neon I returned. It seems it had mysterious clouds of smoke coming from the front wheel wells on several canyon roads!
Old 12-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #31

It used to be, decades ago, all sports cars waved to each other as well as motorcycles.
then in the 80's harleys only waved to Harleys and Vettes to Vettes

it seems now no one hardly waves
Old 12-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
It used to be, decades ago, all sports cars waved to each other as well as motorcycles.
then in the 80's harleys only waved to Harleys and Vettes to Vettes

it seems now no one hardly waves

I "wave" at every car I see with an O-loser sticker!!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #33

Besides the Boxster I have two Harleys which my wife and ride often with friends and alone. We always wave at anyone regardess of the brand or type of motorcycle they are on. We also have friends that have other brands of motorcycles and we ride together, so not all Harley owners are snobs. In fact my wife and I sometimes do not get waves back from people on Harleys and other brands. As noted previously, it could be becasue they are new and do not know about waving.