Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Lost keys, how to replace?

Ahemmm...the wife lost our only key...OK I did...long story.
I know we'll find it...but I better get a replacement anyway...if that's at all possible.

Is it possible to order a key without towing the car to a dealership? Any idea of how much they are going to soak me for it?

Your help is very much appreciated.

...driving the Maxima in the meantime and you wouldn't want me doing that for to long now would you?

Cheers

boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #2

Garage
i dont know about the whole towing part.... but a replacement key will set u back about 250. at least that is what i was told
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #3

lost key.

If you use the search to look at past threads you will find info on this topic. As i recall if you want just a spare, you can get off cheap by getting a key without the buttons on it. it is not just buying the key, it is taking it to the dealer to get it programmed.
SStiebers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

My key split open recently and the contents of the key head was lost. My car still runs and drives fine, I never had an issue with it not starting. Does that mean that the chip inside the key is somewhere in the car?
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #5

Garage
if you look inside the keyhead there is a small glass cylinder near where the key mounts inside the keyhead. this cylinder is what tells ur car that it is a legit key and not just a spare. if you want a key w/o all the buttons u can get a nice small keyhead with light and a crest from ur dealer or many other online places. when u receive it pull it apart transfer the key and the cylinder and viola it works.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
My key split open recently and the contents of the key head was lost. My car still runs and drives fine, I never had an issue with it not starting. Does that mean that the chip inside the key is somewhere in the car?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny, I thought of doing that when I lost my key $$$$.

What your saying would make sense and explain why you couldn't find anything when it split open, nothin' in there. By experimentation, I can tell you the pill needs to be within an inch and a half or so from the slot.

I'm going to put that on my TTD list.

PK
Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny, I thought of doing that when I lost my key $$$$.

What your saying would make sense and explain why you couldn't find anything when it split open, nothin' in there. By experimentation, I can tell you the pill needs to be within an inch and a half or so from the slot.

I'm going to put that on my TTD list.

PK
Ah, I see now. That "pill" is still in there. So, the only thing missing is the guts for the keyless entry. I've had to lock and unlock my car manually for a while now. It did at one time contain the parts for the keyless entry but, when the key split open I thought it had fallen inside the car but, I must have been mistaken and drove off. I have another key that I bought used, I'll just pull out the remote guts and have them transplanted and programmed, that'll save me some money.

Thanks
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #8

The "pill" works by giving up its code when induction current is applied to it from the car's ignition. If the pill is missing, or not recognized by the car, it will not start.

Keys can be found for a bit less than $250, but beware when shopping for keys, especially on eBay, that you must get a key that comes with the code. It will be on a paper tag attached to the key, without this, the key is worthless.

If you're going to add a key, it must be recognized by the immobilizer. Doing this requires a PST2 or PIWIS, the key learning and immobilizer codes, and the car to be present. So, unless you can get whomever you find who has a PST2 or PIWIS to come to you, I think you're going to be stuck taking the car to where the computer is.

I'd try and find the one key that you have so that you can drive the car to wherever you need to go
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #9

Garage
i have the small keyhead with the light for my car. it is smaller. im not a huge fan of the big keyhead with all the buttons.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #10

Lost key = dealer gonna screw U for up to $250.

My second key is the "spare" key. Which mean no remote entry feature. It ran about $120 for the blade and $50 for the head. The dealer was kind enough to program the car for free.

One issue to remember: You tow the car to the dealer, they make/order a new key (blade and head), they program the car to the new key.... your done.

When you find the old key, you'll need to take the car and all the keys back to the dealer, so they car re-program the car to all of the keys....more $

Porsche... there is no substitute.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #11

SStiebers: I did a search and didn't find anything...that made me feel great to be the very first numb brain with this problem.

Thanks vath2001: I called my friendly Porsche dealer who told me I had to tow it to them for them to order the key. Thanks for confirming that for me. At this point, and after having torn my entire house apart including the garbage bags, couch cracks and kitty litter, 250$ sounds like a bargain to get my ride back.

My theory is that I dropped the key on the front balcony and the pizza boy walked away with a free flashy key chain. I hate pizza.

I guess I'll go make my contribution towards our favorite brand now...

boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote