Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #1

Gahh top

Anybody have expericence on the Gahh top? I do have a 2002 and I want to change the top for the glass back. Thanks.

spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #2

Just got one put on Wednesday. My 2002 plastic window was shot. To say that I am happy with it is an understatement.

* Black fades, even subtly over time,. Nice to get a deep/dark black on top again.
* Glass window: Smaller but boy what an improvement from the cloudy, cracking plastic. You will notice the -25% reduction in size but for me it is offset by the clarity.
* My wife (who isn't a car fan at all) thinks it gives the car a far better profile than the original. The smaller window makes it look just a little bit more "aggressive' -- certainly not overly so, but just a little more sporty. I have an Arctic Silver car and it looks exactly like the GAHH ad to the left.
* Fit is drum tight
* The shop where I got it done here in MI (which has been in business since the 1930s) was genuinely impressed with the quality of the top and fabric. They made a point of telling me so which made me feel good about the choice.

Be great to get others to chime in. I am still in the honeymoon period and as I was told to not put the top down (to stretch the canvas) for 10 days or so, my experience is limited to pure aesthetics. My car is otherwise pure OEM -- so it was a big decision for me to go for the non-OEM top. But I'm delighted I did. And I'll pocket the $2500-plus savings.

I too would like to hear from others who have had the top for several years. How does it age?
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #3

If you don't mind what did it cost you and how much to put it on? I am pretty familiar with MI(from living in toledo) what city did you have it installed in? Sorry for the questions, but that is my big spring project for my 2001 Box. It looks great with the top down, but as you know, kind of embarrassed to drive it with the top up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
Just got one put on Wednesday. My 2002 plastic window was shot. To say that I am happy with it is an understatement.

* Black fades, even subtly over time,. Nice to get a deep/dark black on top again.
* Glass window: Smaller but boy what an improvement from the cloudy, cracking plastic. You will notice the -25% reduction in size but for me it is offset by the clarity.
* My wife (who isn't a car fan at all) thinks it gives the car a far better profile than the original. The smaller window makes it look just a little bit more "aggressive' -- certainly not overly so, but just a little more sporty. I have an Arctic Silver car and it looks exactly like the GAHH ad to the left.
* Fit is drum tight
* The shop where I got it done here in MI (which has been in business since the 1930s) was genuinely impressed with the quality of the top and fabric. They made a point of telling me so which made me feel good about the choice.

Be great to get others to chime in. I am still in the honeymoon period and as I was told to not put the top down (to stretch the canvas) for 10 days or so, my experience is limited to pure aesthetics. My car is otherwise pure OEM -- so it was a big decision for me to go for the non-OEM top. But I'm delighted I did. And I'll pocket the $2500-plus savings.

I too would like to hear from others who have had the top for several years. How does it age?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #4

I had it done here in mid-Michigan. Cost was just over $2,200 K for the top and work. Honestly not worth the ride up here to get it done. I think my price was fair but not great. For pros it's a pretty easy fit. If you are Toledo you might want to check in the DET area. Lot of great shops there and the price is likely better. It does take a full day, however, to fit.

I bought my car in Toldeo, by the way!
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #5

I was from toledo but moved to central ohio. I was thinking about doing it myself. I need to do some more research first. Thanks for the reply!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
I had it done here in mid-Michigan. Cost was just over $2,200 K for the top and work. Honestly not worth the ride up here to get it done. I think my price was fair but not great. For pros it's a pretty easy fit. If you are Toledo you might want to check in the DET area. Lot of great shops there and the price is likely better. It does take a full day, however, to fit.

I bought my car in Toldeo, by the way!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #6

Thanks for all the reply. How much is the cost for install?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #7

In Toledo

I had EV's in Toledo (right across from Mancy's) sew in a new window for me.
While I had my car in he did another Boxster and a couple of Mercedes. He has been around for 40 years - also a good spot if you need some leather work done.

BTW - I had tried several other places who didn't have a clue, or didn't have the right machines or didn't want to be bothered (to complex).
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #8

I have my GAHH top with glass rear window for about one year now. Looks like new. No problems. For the first few months, I had to use my hand to pull the top down to lock it. It loosened up and now closes like the original. Best upgrade I have made.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
I was from toledo but moved to central ohio. I was thinking about doing it myself. I need to do some more research first. Thanks for the reply!!
mp:

If you are considering it yourself, check out the comprehensive DIY instructions on Mike Focke's Boxster Pages.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir
mp:

If you are considering it yourself, check out the comprehensive DIY instructions on Mike Focke's Boxster Pages.

Regards, Maurice.
Definately will do. Thanks. My top looks great just the damn plastic cracking on the sides and the fogging has started. I would love the window as it wouldn't cost much more for a new top than to have a plastic window sewn in

Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #11

Reduced access to the engine compartment with the GAHH?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Yes, there is reduced access with the GAHH. That is one of the shortcomings of the GAHH glass windowed top.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #13

The GAHH is a great quality top! In the beginning after install it is stiff. That lasted for about 3 months or so. Now it is just as pliable as OEM. I actually believe it is better quality than OEM. Great fabric and fits perfectly. I would certainly have it professionally installed. Convt. tops are a ********************.
The glass rear window, although smaller than OEM, is quite adequate.
Reduced access to engine compartment makes for some funky maneuvers when cleaning my air filter or MAF, but for the pros, it is not a big deal. They just move it out of the way.

You will be very happy with the GAHH!

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #14

Anybody have a EZ On top? How it compare with Gahh?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Bob Hindson Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman

Yes, and you'll find few technicians who don't mind it
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #16

Anybody have put a 2004 factory top and frame on a 2002? Does it fit or need modifaction? How much is the labor cost? Cause I'm thing to get one from junk yard.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #17

The rear glass on a factory 2004 is it bigger than the aftermarket one if I want to upgrade from a 2002 plastic to glass?

I know I have too many questions. Please advice and help. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Bob Hindson Racing

An 03-04 4-bow glass top will fit on any of the earlier cars if you transplant the entire top. On a 2000-02 car, it is a direct swap. On a 97-99 car it will require a bit more work, as the various sensors and swithes are not the same.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
The rear glass on a factory 2004 is it bigger than the aftermarket one if I want to upgrade from a 2002 plastic to glass?

I know I have too many questions. Please advice and help. Thanks.
The rear glass on an OEM factory 03 or 04 glass windowed soft top is bigger than the one on an aftermarket top fitted onto a '97 to 02 frame, but smaller than the vinyl window surface.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #20

I have a GAHH top, and while I love the look of it and the fact that the vinyl window is gone, it really does make engine access a PITA. The other thing that annoys me, is that with the factory top, the top latch can be left open when putting the top down, but with the GAHH top, it should be closed before the top stows, adding a (albeit minor) extra step.