Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #1

Unhappy Rear trunk struts failed

2003 Boxster with 64k miles - I open the trunk this morning and there is completely no support from the struts. Before I buy any replacement parts, i'm wdonering:

* Is this a common problem? anyone experienced it?
* Any way to fix it without buying a replacement part?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

1. Very common problem. Happens to all Porsches. I've replaced all four of mine (front and rear)

2. These cannot be repaired. Replace only.

Not terribly expensive to replace though. You can buy them from Sunset Porsche in Oregon for the same price if not cheaper than sources you'll find on fleaBay.

Takes five minutes per side. Wait. No... how about 90 seconds. Flathead screwdriver pulls the metal clip to the side and they pop right off. Easy-peezy.

Hopefully, this will be the only repair you'll have for a long time. :dance:

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-21-2009 at 04:15 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the pointers, ya didn't expect it to fail so early . Sounds like a fun small project to tackle on though.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #4

I replace them on my 911 every spring...change them almost as often as the oil.

Struts on the Box are holding well, though they are seven years old.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #5

Max, you will quickly learn that Porsche hasn't made quality, long lasting parts on their cars for a long, long time.

On previous cars, I had no idea how to locate the strut, control arm, drop links, or oxygen sensors. I remember hearing something about a buddy's 25 year old vintage collectible car needing wheel bearings, but never thought about them on on any car I've owned in the past.

All these things (and much, much, more) have been replaced on my boxster in the 5 years and 30k that I've put on the car.

Porsche uses what they call "high performance, ultra light" plastic and aluminum parts in their cars. They say it's to save on weight, but I've learned they're cheap with manufacturing like everyone else these days.

For example, why would any engineer with half a brain design a corrugate, paper thin plastic tubing for an oil filler in a hot engine compartment?

I'll tell you why. His boss' boss told the department to cut X pounds from the car "and while you're at it, to make sure we see you're a company man, cut costs too."

The hood and trunk struts are a great example of overly cost-conscious engineers. The actual lids on our cars are not that heavy... especially the rear one and it's designed with scissor hinges to make it open easily. Those struts shouldn't go out until the car is 25 years old like my buddy's chopped hot rod.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #6

Good points - i'm slowly learning my way around the car with all these little fix ups and fortunately I am quite handy and willing to learn.

Being an engineer myself, I understand some of the real world challenges faced (balance between design and cost, and keep yourself employed!). But as an engineer, I always ask myself - sometimes needlessly - what can be done to improve this part or process. Coming from the Miata world, i know Tein (an aftermarket parts provider) makes some solid hood struts. Are there equivalents in the Boxster world?

Didn't know about the oil filler tube - I'd better work on getting parts on that while at it!

cheers

Last edited by Maxodus; 09-29-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Maxodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #7

Frankly I've replaced them on every car I've owned that had them except the Box.

The seals go out. Have tried to teach wife to ease the trunk lids down, but she slams them anyway.

Our DD MX-6 was the worst as far as effort required. I "saved" some money by not buying new mounting clips from Mazda, and prying the ends off the old ones was slow, agonizing work!

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote