Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #1

HAES 4x40 Amplifier Question

Hi

I own a '93 911 cabrio, but my friend just acquired an '01 Boxster with the Hi-Fi option (what I believe it's called). The amplifier has 4 channels each putting out at most 40watts.

According to other posts and documentation we can find, the speaker lines from the amplifier are FR, FL, SR and SL, where the "S" is for "sub". The question we have is, does this amplifier perform any cross-over for the sub out or is it full range frequency output?

We are trying to plan out ougrades over many months and don't want poorer performance at any of the stages.

Thanks for any help,
CabrioArtie

cabrioartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

The s / subs are the door speakers (in the 9x6 series).

Yes the amp has a built in crossover and only sends lows to the "subs" (using the term loosely) not full range. Not sure of the cut off point but it's there.

Also, on the input side, the subs are driven off a combination of the signal from the front and rear channels so you will need to hook both up from the h/u to get correct function of the "subs". Just thought I'd pass that along too...

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
The s / subs are the door speakers (in the 9x6 series).

Yes the amp has a built in crossover and only sends lows to the "subs" (using the term loosely) not full range. Not sure of the cut off point but it's there.

Also, on the input side, the subs are driven off a combination of the signal from the front and rear channels so you will need to hook both up from the h/u to get correct function of the "subs". Just thought I'd pass that along too...

Good luck
Not sure I undersand, if the H/U is putting out 4 channels (CDR-220), RF & RR are putting out the same audio, the and LF & LR are putting out the same audio too.

Why would we need to combine them?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #4

you don't combine them, the F & R signals (per side L & R) get combined in the amp for the door/subs. Therefore, in order to get correct function for each sub/door speaker, you need the F & R low level inputs from the h/u for each side (L & R) at the amp.

For example, w/ or w/o rear speakers in a Boxster, if you fade 100% to the front speakers, there is no sound from the doors. Same if you fade all the way to the rear - no sound from door/sub (doesn't matter if you have the rear speaker option or not). You will only get full sound (not freq as the amp has a crossover) from the doors when the fade function is set in the middle and thus why you need both the F & R of each side from the h/u at the amp.

Clearer?

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #5

Yes, thank you.

This definitely helps set the order of what needs to be done.