986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what happened to the Babblers? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22104)

ChrisZang 09-16-2009 01:37 PM

what happened to the Babblers?

This Account Has Been Suspended
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

===============================================

Which brings me to an idea/question.
I am assuming that the monthly cost to run this forum is significant
Message to the moderator:
How about you put a PayPal "Donate" button on this forum.
I would be happy to help pay for the bandwidth...

Fred Demara 09-16-2009 01:43 PM

second the motion...one of the boards I frequent has a crest beside each name that donates years - $20 bucks, you get the average crest..50, a nicer one, 100, nicer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
This Account Has Been Suspended
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

===============================================

Which brings me to an idea/question.
I am assuming that the monthly cost to run this forum is significant
Message to the moderator:
How about you put a PayPal "Donate" button on this forum.
I would be happy to help pay for the bandwidth...

derb 09-16-2009 02:33 PM

I got the same thing. I deleted my cookies from them and just tried to go to the website and the same screen came up. Same thing when trying from another computer that has never been there. Odd.

timothy 09-16-2009 02:58 PM

derb, the problem is babblers account with their service provider, not your personal account

gerrygug 09-16-2009 03:06 PM

Somebody owes somebody some money.

derb 09-16-2009 03:07 PM

timothy,
Agree, I just wanted to check that I didn't get cut off because I didn't contribute any money.
Regards.

RandallNeighbour 09-16-2009 05:16 PM

PPBB shut down recently. The guy who started it died and the guy who kept running it in his stead got tired of paying for the site to be up and no one donating to keep it running.

This crappy economy is hard on everyone.

I do hope the Richards who own this forum give us a chance to contribute if ads stop paying for the site fees.

Not having the 986forum.com would SUCK.

Brucelee 09-17-2009 05:43 AM

You guys are most kind. I think we are doing fine but rarely look. Richard K can chime in if the truth is otherwise.

Again, we appreciate the sentiment.

:)

rkwei 09-17-2009 07:27 AM

Yes, we're fine...luckily I have a day job.

I do know that times have been tough all around for present/past sponsors - DasSchild, Deluboz, Race by Design.

Senoff Wind Blockers will be the next sponsor casualty as business has been slow for them.

RKwei

pk2 09-17-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
PPBB shut down recently. The guy who started it died and the guy who kept running it in his stead got tired of paying for the site to be up and no one donating to keep it running.

No way!, I can't believe that. PPBB was an institution. It was a cult. I wonder why know took up the mantle.

PK

derb 09-17-2009 07:49 AM

PPBB is still up and running.
http://ppbb2.ppbb.com/phorum/index.php

The site did go down briefly a month or two ago. Several of their members worked together to relaunch the site with a new format but keeping the old feel. They also took donations as the reason it was shut down before was the cost and time involved.
It is a unique board. Some of the threads grow to epic proportions.
I visit it everyday.

70Sixter 09-22-2009 11:15 AM

I just went to Babblers. No mention of any outage that I saw after hitting "New Posts."