Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #1

How to use a Cellphone in a Boxster? Headset?

I'm used to using a cellphone via a handsfree car kit in an SUV with an automatic transimission.

In a Boxster, what do you guys use? I'm presuming a headset. Is it too noisy even with a headset? Is there a dual-earpiece headset?

Where to you keep the phone? In the cupholder?

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

I have used a headset (the boom microphone style) with good luck. I planned to get the non-smoker's kit to have a place to stick it in the console but for now I just kinda wedge the phone in one of the cupholders and it works fine (the power cord helps to hold it in place).
Old 02-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #3

In the same boat!

I'm in your identical situation. Let me know if you come up with any good ideas.
I did go look at Circuit City a case logic product that's a neprene round pocket about half the size of a coke can that clips into and hangs off any a/c vent .

For $5.00 bucks I'm gonna try one. If not to hold the phone it may come in handy for misc but it is big enough for any phone.

I'm mainly interested in finding a ear piece or head set that is easy to pop in and out as a true hands free scenario appears to be a dream.

Brad
Maxandwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:46 AM   #4

I'm going to take the hands-free unit from my Lexus out and put it into the Boxster. It's pretty easy since it plugs into the cig lighter, but I had neatly tucked away the wiring for the microphone and didn't really want to re-do that.

I have tried a Motorola earpiece and mike on a retractable cord (you pull out the earpiece/mike from a spring-loaded reel and after you're done, you push a button and the earpiece/mike's cord is pulled back like when you retract a tape measure).

I put the Motorola "reel" in the left cup holder and the phone in the right cupholder.

The Motorola is so-so because the retractable cord isn't that long and so when it is in my ear, it is hanging in mid-air from my ear to the cupholder location. And yesterday, when I was turning, I accidentally ripped the earpiece out of my ear--slight OWWW!

Also, the motorola isn't that loud even though the earpiece volume on the phone was cranked to max. Maybe because the phone is an LG and not a Motorola.

The other trouble with my setup is that with both cupholders out, they do a great job of blocking the radio controls and display....

I'll report back on what I find with the true LG handsfree unit.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #5

I've got a Nokia install kit mounted on the TechArt mount, a lot like this one:

Works great.

-Paul
ettsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #6

Talk on the phone when you're out of the car Just drive when you're in the car. That should solve your problems. Besides, I'm sure the people on the other end isn't going to appreciate hearing you say, "WWHHHEEEEEEE". But PLEASE whatever you do, don't be driving and using the cell phone without a handsfree set. Thats just asking for trouble.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #7

Ok, so I took the LG "zero-install" hands-free kit out of my other vehicle and put it into the Boxster.

It's something like this:

http://www.wirelessgalaxy.com/ac/lg_vx3100_zero_install.html

It's "passable". but not altogether great (though in a quiet Lexus, it's fantastic).

It's a true hands-free unit as opposed to the the headset. It plugs into the cig lighter, has a speaker and a long cord to a small mike that you clip onto the visor.

I didn't try it with the top up since it was a beautiful day today. But with the top down it was only passable. The speaker got drowned up at higher speeds and at higher RPMs. It became a bit frustrating to use.

I may have to just let the phone ring and call people back when it's convenient.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #8

I upgraded my LG6000 phone to a Motorolla V710 specifically to accomodate handsfree AND wireless driving.

The new phone is Bluetooth enabled. This means I can use a compatible Blutooth earpiece, and as long as the phone is within 30 feet of the headset, it works fine. I can use voice dial to initate a call, and can answer the phone from a button on the earpiece. No wire, and I don't have to touch the phone. The phone sits out of sight in the oddment compatment, or if I get lazy it goes in the ashtray replacement cubby or stays in the holster on my belt. I can get out of the car to pump gas or grab a coffee (if I'm parked close to the door of the convenience store) without losing the call.

Call quality is acceptable but not great with the top down.

For those of you who don't want to spend money on a new phone, you can get a Bluetooth adapter for most phones.

As for talking on the phone while I'm driving - my boss thinks I'm in the office when I'm really exiting a sharp curve at speed. 'nuff said.

- Pete

doughep is offline   Reply With Quote