Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Paintless Dent Repair for trunk dimple?

My 2001 is generally in fine shape. But the previous owner's wife made a little upwards dent in the trunk by overstuffing it at the grocery store (a Tide bottle did the damage) prior to him installing "Das Shield."

It's a relatively small mark but it bugs me at times. Just wondering if anyone has successfully fixed these nuisance dimples by using one of the paintless dent repair services. I know this is a fairly common Boxster dent. Looking for a cheap fix (if there is such thing.)

Thanks.

d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #2

I had some removed from my car, I could not relocate the spots when he was done. The proximity of the dent to an edge and some specific body contours determines whether the process can be done. Otherwise, you would have to have someone really talented fill it and blend it in, better yet is to shoot the entire panel.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-06-2009 at 03:57 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #3

I had many of those "closed the trunk on something" dimples on mine.
There were there when I bought the car.
I had a Dent Wizard come to my house to take out some other dings and I asked about those from the inside dimples.
He got about 95% of them out and now I have to strain to look for the remaining 5%.
It is important to get the right person to do it.
I had a dent on my Jag that another dent guy said he could not get out. This dent guy got 80% of it out
Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #4

Cool dent repair

mike,
i have to agree... i'll suggest that you find someone's recommendation.. really depends on how good the dent technician is.. but you'll be surprised at the results... you wont even remember where the dent was !
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #5

don't won't to thread jack, but are these dings on the trunk or the front hood? i have one of those closed the front hood on something from the previous owner that I want to fix. however, I don't want to make it worse by cracking the paint. so have folks had success in repairing those type of dings on the front hood? thx.
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

I had two of them on mine, I just used my thumb and pressed with medium pressure and kind of rubbed. It disapeared in seconds. zero cost to me. Ive got one on my fender but can't reach it without taking stuff off the car. so I will have to put it off till spring cleaning on my box

seriously, its that easy. we had dent doctors come into our car lot and would take metal tools and wedge them behind the dent and slowy "caress" them out. It really isn't rocket science. If you can feel it underneath then just rub it out.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 09-06-2009 at 08:23 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:53 AM   #7

Does anyone know if there is a relationship between the "age" of the bump and the ease with which it can be rectified?

If the paint remains "stressed" for an extended period it would seem it could be harder to repress cleanly. But maybe I'm underestimating modern metallurgy and paint technology.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #8

Some of these guys can work magic, but, personally, I will only let them try their magic if I can watch. Some of their techniques may make you cringe, but it works. What I will not let them do is cut holes into my body panels so that they can get their tools in (very common on dents in door panels).
Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

I've pushed out a couple of small dings in my door. I used a spoon, some masking tape and rubbing with pressure. The tape protects the finish. Like mptoledo says, it's no too hard if you can access the spot.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #10

To illustrate how dent removal experience is necessary to get a good repair, when I was having my dings popped out, one of them was to the rear of the right engine air inlet.
I removed the grill for the tech, then he told me he did not have his correct tool that day for the available access.
He asked me for a stubby Phillips and removed the ding using only the Phillips.
Its magic!!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
Does anyone know if there is a relationship between the "age" of the bump and the ease with which it can be rectified?

If the paint remains "stressed" for an extended period it would seem it could be harder to repress cleanly. But maybe I'm underestimating modern metallurgy and paint technology.
------------------------------------------------------------
Thats a good question. I've wondered how "pros" handled that very issue. I used paint cars in my youth but so much has changed. Of hand I'd say if you heated it up with hairdryer, carefully, you would be O.K. But, but when I painted cars, for soft bumpers you used a "flexitive" additive to the paint and a special flexible primer. Obviously so the plastic could take a hit, expand and contract. etc. etc. anf the pain would not crack

It seems like they don't do that anymore. The last few times I had some repair work done, I asked about how they handled bumpers and they say now you use the same paint on everything. Which makees sense why not. That means that paint on your door, if it used the same type of paint tech. probably won't crack anymore than your bumpers will.

I don't know when they made that change but I do know over the years since I got out it , there have been allot of sea changes so I don't know what they were doing 3,5,10 years ago. I think your best chance of sucess would be with a little heat.

Regards, PK
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

PDR is great and cheap. I had a bunch of dings taken out of my BMW and Porsche for $500. Amazing to watch the guy work too, but at times I had to close my eyes because of what he was doing and how he was doing it. I would have messed up my panels royally had I tried the same things he did.

He took out reverse dings on the trunk too like you have.

Find someone who's too busy to get to you today or tomorrow and has been removing dings for at least five years straight. Then you'll get someone who is really talented or really skilled or both.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #13

I accidentally dropped a part on the rear quarter of my '02 Firehawk (and about had a heart attack). It put a dent in the top of the fender with a nice crease in it. I took it to Dent Wizard and they did a great job fixing it. I can still find it, but I really have to look, and it is barely noticeable.

As far as the paint goes, the way they do it is to repair it very slowly (many small taps rather than one large one). By doing it slowly, the paint has time to flex with the repair. At least that's what I've been told. IMO, it shouldn't matter how old the dent is.

I've heard that some places will fix these dents for $50 per panel.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #14

Down through the years I have save thousands of $$$ using paintless dent removal. Just find the shop in your area with a good reputation and you will be happy.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote