Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #1

Bumper question

Hello everyone,
After 7 years I'm finally getting around to doing some body mods to the '02 S.

I've been searching for kits that catch my eye, and found a GT3 front bumper that I really like. It's on forum member joee76's car (photo attached). It looks like a version for the newer body 997. I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is and how he fit it on his 986?

Thanks for any help.
Drew

Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #2

Copy of 997 GT3 bumper

There are a few companies out there with that bumper, they copied a large portion of the early 997 GT3 bumper and remolded the headlights to fit a 986 or early 996. You'll likely only find it in fiberglass. I think the company I saw that had it was Fiberworks, but I'm not sure.
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #3

IMHO it doesn't look right.
The new bumper is "too busy", it works on a 997 but not on a 986
I'd look for a replica of the Ruf bumper, I know there's a company which allows puts ads into Excellence Magazine which makes aftermarket bumpers
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

I Love mine I think it adds alot to the car I get way more compliments on my car then I ever did before the mod. I did the TA stlye side skirts, rear diffuser, GT3 front bumper and wheels all at the same time I did alll the paint work myself.

My GT3 bumper is not fiberglass, it is plastic just like the original.....you do not want a fiberglass one. first time you rub the road pulling out of a drive..... there goes your bumper. I also like the front lip painted black....more like the real GT3 also when it rubs you can just touch it up with a little spray paint.

I do think when guys take the light covers off and put the 997 signal light in the bumper it is too much and doesn't look good...... but to each his own.

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #5

I think that 997 GT3 bumper is waaay too much, makes me think of japanese cars loaded with plastic.. My boxster has the 996 GT3 front, and i think it looks better than anything

Old 09-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #6

Mine's getting the GT3 treatment now

I'm adding the GT3 aerokit II bumper and side skirts to my car, hopefully in the next weeks, bumper bought and skirts hopefully have arrived. Waiting on the body shop to do the other repairs after the wreck. I did remember that Suncoast has a few GT2 and GT3 bumpers for sale that are 997 style on their website. You might want to check there, prices were competitive with what a normal Boxster S bumper would cost to put on once you add the grills and extra pieces to make the stock bumper work.
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeloop
I think that 997 GT3 bumper is waaay too much, makes me think of japanese cars loaded with plastic.. My boxster has the 996 GT3 front, and i think it looks better than anything

I think this looks great, all of the lines and styling blend seamlessly, it looks like factory instead of something that looks like it was an aftermarket add on. The lines on a 986 are rounded and smooth, you body kit should be the same IMHO
Old 09-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #8

+1 on the factory 996 GT3 MK1 bumper. Same thing I have on my car. Fit is perfect, and quality is excellent, as it's all factory. You absolutely do not want fiberglass on a road car.